Hermit's Nets

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Badger1
Roach

Hermit's Nets

Post by Badger1 »

Hello all,

I would just like to fill the internet up with some more random tedious cr*p :Chuckle: and blow a trumpet for a member on here rather than for ones self. Praise be to….Hermit. :huray:

I recently christened one of his ash framed landing nets on a nearby small river/brook close to where I live, and quite a christening it was too, as I was expecting some tidders to be about it. I lost count of the number of grayling but around 20 and 4 looney Trout as well, all in a couple of hours. It was very difficult to photograph the ladies of the stream as they were all very lively, in the gin clear water the trick was a very light tackle, 2lb bottom link onto a size 20 barbless hook using a 1SSG plastic chubber float. I don’t see the fascination with fancy floats myself, I can appreciate the beauty of some of them but I would be proper p*ssed off if I lost one so I'll stick with the cheap and nasty plastic things. I remember being millimetres from the top of my wader rescuing a Andy Batchelor float before as I was not seeing that become part of the landscape. But back to the net…..I asked for a micro/fine mesh to try and stop the shot on your rig going through the mesh as there is nothing more annoying than sitting there un-tangling it all if it gets caught up with the mesh. This mesh is not the overly pretty site on a ash net but sometime practicality over aesthetics is required. The net head is light enough for my very low diameter 7’ cane pole to handle and very strong in its construction. The spreader block is particularly strong, basic and functional in its design, with sensibly proportioned ash adding to the strength. I would be quite happy to land medium sized barbel in this net…although it would be a squeeze as the mesh is not deep, but I did use a Paul Cook net head for barbel years ago so I’m sure they would fit.

I have several of these type of net-heads from the most expensive on the “market” to these far more sensibly priced examples and in terms of build quality and strength Hermits net head is up there with the more……pricey ones or really you could argue banded names. For the price I would highly recommend you contact Hermit and see what he could do for you. However I think he is off on holiday at the moment.

Well done Hermit and good work! Oh yes and I’ll look at ordering the next size up soon.

Ta Muchly.

Last edited by Badger1 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Hermit's Nets

Post by Bob Brookes »

I agree, John indeed makes some very fine nets.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I can vouch for john's nets the one in the thread below was made by John I just stained, varnished and added a net (I now have a different net on the frame)

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=12840
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I need a new net for my 28" triangular Efgeeco frame. It was my first landing net so I don't want to throw it away but the net has been eaten by mice in several places. I ordered a replacement from eBay but the knotless net had knots (which were badly tied and coming undone) and was just a shapeless net tube. It was rubbish so I returned it. Can anyone tell me where I can get a proper, good quality, knotless, shaped net.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

SS, I bought a couple of nets (Snowbee) from here http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/aca ... _nets.html

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Gary,

Thank you, I have ordered a rubberized replacement net, they look much better quality :-)

James
Rudd

Post by James »

I have a small ash frame net John kindly gifted me and i think it is a net i will be using for many years,the quality harks back to the days when craftsmen use to make things to last. Top Job! Hermit and great read Badger1.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”