Restoring a hoop net sewing help needed

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Restoring a hoop net sewing help needed

Post by Paul F »

I bought a 16" x 12" hooped net which was in a rather sorry state, it was painted in a thick creosote type of varnish, which I stripped back as per the 2 following photo's

After stripping back to bare wood, It was given a couple of coats of stain, then varnished.

The help I need, is the frame has a series of holes & groove, so I want to sew a new knotless net
I have bought a replacement 16" net, how do I go about making this fit, is it too big?
What the sewing process?
Thanks in advance
Paul

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Re: Restoring a hoop net sewing help needed

Post by TemeLAD »

Hi Paul

It would be easier to explain if I was stood next to you but here goes:

Is the replacement net too big? Count the loops on the top edge of the net they should be the same as the number of spaces between the holes in your frame. If you have a few more loops then no worries you can gather these at the V of the frame.

Use a big enough length of cord and start at the V of the net - first hole, knotting the cord to secure it. As you progress thread the cord through one of the net loops and then up through the second hole, down the third hole and again through the next net loop. Repeat until you arrive at the final hole but instead of knotting the cord reverse the process and continue until you are back where you started, knot to secure. If I have described it correctly then you should have no gaps in the cord that now lays inside the groove between the loops.

Cheers :Hat:

Les
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Alternatively you can thread the retaining cord through the frame hole then through the net loop then back down the frame hole in the opposite direction pulling tight . This gives a very neat finish with less cord used.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Thanks Chaps for the advice, I think my replacement net is too large, not sure I can reduce it, I have 33 holes in the frame, the net has 54 loops

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

Pafpuf
The pitching of the holes looks quite large if the drop and mesh size is what you want from your net try drilling some extra holes in between the existing holes across the top arch of the net until you have the required number.

When threading my net to frame i pulled each loop through the hole and then threaded braid through the loops tied one end to the first loop pulled it nearly through, pulled the braid tight and tied it to the last loop pulled that nearly through, then pulled all the other loops down tight onto the braid. Hope it makes sense
Seems OK I hope to test mine tomorrow - well i will take it with me just i get a chance to get a nice fish I can photograph with the net in the piccy as well..

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Ajsrider wrote:Pafpuf
The pitching of the holes looks quite large if the drop and mesh size is what you want from your net try drilling some extra holes in between the existing holes across the top arch of the net until you have the required number.

When threading my net to frame i pulled each loop through the hole and then threaded braid through the loops tied one end to the first loop pulled it nearly through, pulled the braid tight and tied it to the last loop pulled that nearly through, then pulled all the other loops down tight onto the braid. Hope it makes sense
Seems OK I hope to test mine tomorrow - well i will take it with me just i get a chance to get a nice fish I can photograph with the net in the piccy as well..
Drill more hole to suit the net :doh: Why didn't I think of that!

Thanks Ajsrider :Thumb:

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Net a new net on the net...why did you not think of that? :idea:
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

Pafpuf : yours is very similar too mine ,I too had to renovate it .I did pick the wrong size net though but it went on all the same ,I am looking for a finer mesh net to replace the one I used .that will go into a larger frame (which I have in hand ,just needs a little finishing off ) .this is how I did mine

http://ref.yuku.com/topic/43/refurbish- ... GeJMzNF3s0
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”