3 hooped nets

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Bob Brookes
Zander

3 hooped nets

Post by Bob Brookes »

I have just bought a lovely landing net head from a member on this forum, Hermit. It is great and I am pleased with it.
Having used the largest one in the picture when trotting for grayling, I was forever getting into a mess when the shots fell though the mesh when landing a fish. I got Hermit to make me the middle size one with a very fine mesh. I have yet to use it but I am confident all my problems will be solved. That is until I hook a 12lb barbel my mistake!

The largest of the nets is one of Andy Batchelor's and he also refurbished and fitted a legal net on the small pre-war one. Andrew Davis did a re-varnish job on the original handle that came with it. I love it!

My only regret now is that I sold my Edward Barder/Bernard Venables net, one of the first batch of 12 he ever made. That went a few years ago during a time when my love of the traditional was at a low ebb. It was bigger than all of these and would have completed the range. I will get a larger one made at some stage.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”