Len Arbery's Traditional Landing Nets

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Len Arbery's Traditional Landing Nets

Post by Len Arbery »

Perhaps the majority of TFF members consider my landing nets anything but traditional but this tale may interest some. That, and to set the record straight, is the sole motive behind this account.

Partnered by Dave Short, my carp fishing career began in the 1960’s. We were soon sufficiently fortunate to meet and fish with Bill Quinlan, Bob Buteux, Jack Hilton and Roger Smith. At that time Jack Hilton and Bill Quinlan were using the best available landing nets: those made by B.James & Son based on Dick Walker’s original design, but these were as rare as the proverbial rocking horse poo; even back then! Therefore, Roger Smith got his dad to make him a ‘Walker copy’ but employing solid fibreglass arms and a brass block.

Roger’s version was impressive, but I thought a significant weight-saving could be achieved by employing hollow glass arms, alloy block and a tufnol spreader. Discussions with Bill and Dave culminated in me building three large landing nets, one for each of us. Bill suggested suitable arms be cut from (Oliver’s of Knebworth) green salmon rod blanks, at 45inches long.

My original three nets (Picture courtesy of Chris Ball).

These, then, were my first three landing nets, made almost certainly early in 1969. In use they proved ‘bombproof’, and mine is still going strong. Bill’s returned to me after his tragic premature demise, and Dave’s is currently owned by Chris Ball.

As news spread other carpers showed interest and I went on to make about 30 similar nets. Some of the owners becoming well known anglers: Bob Buteux, Ritchie McDonald, Bruce Ashby, Mike Harris, Pete Cranstoun, Martin James, Mike Wilson, Kevin Clifford, John Carver, etc. (As an aside, John Carver’s was the actual item used in the landing of Chris Yates’ ex-record carp, his Redmire 51lb 8oz: I’m particularly proud of that.

John Carver’s net.

Besides making landing nets from scratch I worked on others, owned by the likes of Tom Mintram and Jack Hilton.

When Ritchie McDonald gave-up carp fishing in the early 1990’s, all his gear, including the landing net was sold. Recently it turned-up for sale and consequently purchased by long-time carper, and landing net enthusiast and collector, Greg Fletcher. Through Chris Ball, Greg contacted me to verify this indeed was the ex-Ritchie net, which I happily did. But the net was now in poor condition, with one arm broken: In the event its restoration was entrusted to me and the result proved eminently satisfying.

Ritchie’s net before restoration.

Ritchie’s net post restoration.

Coincidentally, at the time of the work’s completion, Ritchie phoned to ask if Greg would be interested in selling the net back to him. I told him, he had two chances – slim and none! Then offered to make Ritchie one of my modern carbon-fibre versions as a replacement and part recompense: An offer Ritchie happily accepted.

Ritchie’s new net.

Incidentally, these current carbon-fibre based nets came about when Jack Hilton’s son, Keith, and Tom Mintram’s son, Mike, asked me, actually at Redmire, to make them nets similar to the ones I worked on for their dads, all those years ago, leading on to around twenty more.

A few extra pictures.

Len in his workshop.

Len with Dave Short, June 2014.

Len with Kevin Clifford and Bob Buteux, November 2013.

Roger Smith's landing net, the first his father made.

Roger Smith at Redmire, 1969. Again the landing net is the first his father made.

Bill Quinlan's biggest carp, his Redmire 38lb 2oz, landed in the net Len made him.

Last edited by Len Arbery on Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Re: Len Arbery's Traditional Landing Nets

Post by Danny Boy »

fantastic len ,I have had the opportunity to hold john cavers landing net ,its a beast.
im 6ft 4"
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Fascinating, glorious photos, thanks Len.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Lovely work there Len,of course.... but I have to congratulate you especially on the near-perfect drilling out of those old Allen screws! :Hat:

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Those are beautifully crafted nets there Len :Hat:

As someone who takes more than a passing interest in landing nets, I love the fact the lines are really flowing, aesthetically pleasing, elegant and beautifully crafted. From an engineering viewpoint simple, functional and as you said "bombproof"

Thanks for sharing :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Some fascinating historical notes and photos Len and Lovely nets too ! Thanks for sharing :Hat:
Last edited by Mushy on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Fishes
Mushy

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Fascinating post Len and some great photos.

Pete

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Firstly: Thank you all for the kind comments; I'm so pleased, not to say relieved, that some of you were interested in this post.

Secondly: Thank you Mark, for all your help in making this post possible in the first place.

Hello Danny Boy,

Yeah, you are correct, most of my nets are big, but at least on one occasion not big enough! This being when my son, Tony, hooked a 7ft 10" long German catfish! A young lad, Wolfgang Menrel, saved the situation, when displaying great presence of mind, and a big dollop of courage, jumped in fully clothed and manhandled the beast into the net!

Hello Nobby,

Whadderyoumean, 'NEAR'-perfect?!

Actually, the most demanding aspect concerning the renovation of Ritchie's net was repairing the shattered arm, that is, without leaving any unsightly or obvious sign of the repair, or affecting too much the original curve of the arm under tension. This being achieved by way of an internal spigot, (fortunately, a suitable piece of glassfibre, from another original broken arm remained in my spares drawer), and an external whipping to cover the repair. A similar whipping was put on the other arm so both matched. See pic below:

Hello Mushy,

Thanks for the PM; I'll do my best to oblige.

Thanks again for the interest,

Len.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Blimey! I'd presumed you'd replaced the broken arm,....I must pay more attention :oops:

OK..the drilling out was perfect :Hat:

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello Nobby,

Hope you didn't think my reply was serious? As I reckon you, and I very well know - there's very little perfect in this world, let alone in engineering.

I'm just pleased Ritchie's net restoration proved as satisfactory as it did!

I've asked Greg to let me have a picture of the first fish he lands using it.

Besties,

Len.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”