Len Arbery's Traditional Landing Nets

Traditional landing nets large and small.
QuinetteCane
Rudd

Re: Len Arbery's Traditional Landing Nets

Post by QuinetteCane »

Good Fish. That must be before the big freeze of 62/3 killed off the Cheshunt stocks Len.
Looks to be on the North Bank, There wasn't that much flat bank space elsewhere as I remember.

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello QC,

Yes, I'd also suggest this picture dates from pre-1960, and I recall Alec mentioning many of his, and his close friend Bill Keal's shots, were taken immediately outside one of the huts, as they used to leave much of their gear, including cameras I suspect, in this hut whilst fishing.

Never having even seen the place, would the hut(s) be situated on the north bank?

Besties,

Len.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Len, Ah, No, Bill Keals Hut was on the west bank although only the foundations were left by my time.
The housing estate had been built over the back by then which seemed to link in with the demise of
things being left safely. That included the huts.
When the Reservoir was dug the spoil was deposited on the bank behind leaving a narrow level section by the water.
The huts were built over the spoil heap which explains the need for the steps down from them.
I think there were around three in total.
The spoil heap surrounded the water and gave the impression of isolation despite being so close to buildings.
Jack Hilton's Quest for Carp Chapter 7 describes Cheshunt Reservoir and gives a good notion of the character of the place.
Chapter 10 of the same book I rather suspect happened there too.
I recently visited the site. Now you can drive entirely along the length of what was the centre of the water. All gone !
The spoil heap went back from whence it came. Some 300 new homes now occupy the place. Progress Ha!
Happy Days ?

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello Q C,

You are indeed correct, the incident described in Chapter 10 of Jack Hilton's classic, "Quest for Carp", did occur at Cheshunt.

The other angler Jack mentioned in this chapter, 'The Doc', according to Jack's son, Keith, was an eminent gynaecologist by the name of Dr Norman Benjafield. Who was a long-time Red Spinners member and, in his earlier days, raced Bentleys. Keith also has said, Norman Benjafield's brother was one of the famous original 'Bentley Boys', who earned their reputations at motor racing circuits, such as Brooklands, etc.

Regards,

Len.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

I think I met the Doc there once in the eighties, He'd been retired twenty five years even then, Slim Tidy Tweedy Man, Terribly tired tackle tho.
Ancient cane rod with odd whippings and tape holding the rings on. Omnia FS reel. No expense spent on his tackle at all.
I was fishing for bits with a Drennan Crystalight 6oz tc. Foul hooked a 9lb Common in the base of the tail,
Every time pressure was applied the fish tilted and porpoised on the surface all over the Lake.
Ruined his fishing. He didnt seem to mind at all, Lovely Affable Chap. Perhaps, After Re-reading Chapter Ten, He'd become used to it!?
That was a day that sticks in the Memory.... Apparently.

Sorry. Thread Kinda meandered off course.

Very Desirable Engineered Net Frames on here. I had the Over the Counter, Efgeeco Cast Alloy Block Job. Workmanlike but without the visuals.
Bests QC.

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Thanks to those who expressed an interest in acquiring one, have now received a batch of blanks sufficient to build a few more nets. The process of machining alloy blocks, tufnol spreaders, brass screws and ferrules, etc, will now begin.

Plainly, doing everything myself means each net takes many hours to complete, orders, therefore will be met in strict sequence meaning, of course, first come first served.

Thanks again,

Len.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Hi Len, Have pm'd you as a gentle reminder re landing net!! :)

Regards

Ted

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi Len,
You have mail.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello Hovis,

You have a PM.

Len.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I have just received the following progress picture of the R.W. style net that Len is making for me. It is coming along nicely and I am looking forward to sliding it under a carp or tench in the springtime!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”