My first ash frame landing net.

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Hovis
Tench

My first ash frame landing net.

Post by Hovis »

I have wanted to undertake this project for quite a while but funds and time proved to be tight. However I was lucky in the fact that I managed to acquire some wonderful ash, straight grained and recently cut.
I’m still waiting for some of the brass work to be finished but this is progress so far.

Firstly you’ll need a template to actually form the shape of the net you will be making. Take few scraps of ply from a skip, and then take some off cuts of stud work timber. You need to use a jigsaw to make the ply the right shape. Then fix the studwork to give you some depth to the piece.

I then used a table saw just to make sure timber was at 90 degrees to the template to make sure that the ash sat nicely on it. Just a quick note on the net shape here. I’m sure you can make the net into almost any tear drop shape but I went for a more elongated shape that will hopefully do for most of my barbel stalking in the summer. I figured that I could keep the weight down whilst giving the largest net possible.

Then take a piece of ash. Around 6ft long with a straight grain pattern. You’ll notice this has a slight twist but we’ll sort that later.

You then need to think about how you will attach the net. The mesh can either be lashed to the frame by wrapping cord in a spiral pattern around the frame or in my case sown in like a tennis racket. To do this you have to cut a shallow groove into the frame to accept the cord. This is done with the aid of a half inch router and a shallow V cutter.

This then needs to be set at around 2.5mm depth and run along the middle of the timber to accept the cord a little later on.

You can see the finish recess that will accept the cord that in turn will hold the net.

The next step is by no means needed but adds to the appeal and look of the finished net. It’s simply to shape the edges of the net to remove that sharp edges. This can be done with a half round bit in the router but if I’m honest I couldn’t be bothered to set it up. I decided to simply set a hand plane shallow and take a few passes off. It’s not difficult but if you need a help you can always use the work bench as a guide. You can see this in the picture below. This is simply finished with some fine sandpaper.

Now remember that slight twist. Well it’s not too bad but a few days clamped to the work bench with some opposite twist applied should sort it enough to enable the next stage.

The next job is to then take the ash and mark and drill the holes for the net itself. This is simple enough. All I did was measure the total circumference of the net template and transfer this onto the ash. Then mark the centre of the ash and count the number of loops on your net. Simple transfer these onto you piece of ash starting from the centre mark. I think this mesh had 56 hanging loops, so 28 on each side. I also left around 50mm towards the bottom of the frame to make sure I could get some strong fixings from the spreader block. These are then drilled out with a 2mm drill bit and slightly counter sunk on the inside face.

After this work we’re ready to steam the ash. Stupidly I forgot to take a picture of this! I used a wallpaper steamer some 40mm waste pipe and a couple of rags to bung the end. 20 mins later and the ash was removed using gloves and starting at the top bent round the template. I also took the opportunity roughly trim the ends to get them to sit tightly on the frame. Oh and a word of warning here make sure you can find enough clamps at this stage as you’ll need a few. I had to make do with some off cuts pinning the ash to the template.

I’ve taken a few pic of the net as it stands at the moment. I have strung the mesh in the same way as you would a tennis racquet. I’m waiting for a friend to braze the spreader block before I can fit this and try it out. I will post a picture when it’s completed.

Good news is it’s almost time for the next project!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: My first ash frame landing net.

Post by Kingfisher »

Excellent Hovis. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Very nice indeed
Bumble

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Bloody good show Hovis, well done....

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Well done Hovis, I am very impressed.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Good job :cheers:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Very nice work there. Looking forward to seeing the final item
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Awesome buddy!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Hannay
Perch

Post by Hannay »

Quality workmanship, my friend. Excellent result and what a great workshop you have. Bit jealous there...

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Wouldn't your time have been better spent doing jobs in the house!!
Mark Davies

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”