For a landing net handle ! ? ! ?

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: For a landing net handle ! ? ! ?

Post by Snape »

Beresford wrote:As a I write this there is a Spitfire flying around over my house. To some people £500 for a Barder item is money well worth spending and to them probably not a lot of money at the end of the day. Now this Spitifre is burning about £500 worth of fuel an hour, if not more, so it's all relative. An item of fishing tackle is worth what the highest bidder will pay for it.

Now if you buy a new Barder rod at £1,700, it's resale value right now is about £1,000 – £1,300. When he stops building, then well see the prices go up and up and we might start seeing £3,000 rods being sold rather more frequently than we do now.
Some of his earlier rods have increased a lot already as they are so scarce and if sold via channels other than ebay.
Edward has assured me that he could get more than £2000 for my no. 2 Barbus Maximus MK1 with a couple of phone calls. It's not for sale though!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:I was reminded as I read these last few posts that EB has indeed, apparently, said that he isn't going to build any more landing net handles.
True. He did make 5 CY carp nets and handles a year ago. They were snapped up at £1200 each.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Snape wrote:
Nobby wrote:I was reminded as I read these last few posts that EB has indeed, apparently, said that he isn't going to build any more landing net handles.
True. He did make 5 CY carp nets and handles a year ago. They were snapped up at £1200 each.
Ridiculous, sorry but it is. :Scared:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

From EB's flyer about last year's five nets.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Hmm! Lovely I'm sure, I can understand 2k for a rod (after a few light re-furbs of my own I fully appreciate the man hours that go into such things).
But a net handle is lets face it is just a piece of scorched bamboo with a couple of fittings attached, no offence meant to those who covert such things, my own weakness is Barbour clothing, wife thinks I'm utterly bonkers having just paid £40.for a baseball cap :Scared:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

But to some people £1200 is not a lot of money, it's probably a case of the price being irrelevant to those who can afford it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Oh, so he did find himself able to make a few more landing net handles then?....

But they'll be the last ever...
Until the next time.

Can't say I'm that impressed by all this, even if I am impressed by his work.

The £800 reels aren't forgotten either.........

distinctly unimpressed........................

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Beresford wrote:But to some people £1200 is not a lot of money, it's probably a case of the price being irrelevant to those who can afford it.
Very true Sir.
Nobby yes those reels..............

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The reels were a brilliant idea for growing the Barder brand and increasing his profit. Essentially he and Colin can't make any more rods than they already do so how else to increase profit? Simple: pay somebody £400 per reel to make them and sell a small batch at £800 to a ready market. Very easy, very smart move.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I doubt the makers got that much. I was told the unit prduction costs were about £60 and only that high because the reels were actually of a very, very high standard.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”