Richard Walker net makeover..

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Watermole+
Chub

Richard Walker net makeover..

Post by Watermole+ »

The first Richard Walker net type I attempted to make was the one using greenheart for the handle and the 30" arms.
After field trials however, it was apparent that there was room for considerable improvement in some areas and so this particular net has been given a bit of a makeover, which has both made it much lighter and easier to handle.

Several things soon became obvious when the net was in practical use, the first one being that the greenheart handle is no lightweight to carry around, or to use single-handedly. This has now been changed for a new one made from tonkin, utilizing the same ferrule fitting, but with a brass end fitting and button-which looks nicer. The handle length has been kept the same at 5' 6", button to ferrule end.
In use however, it was a nice, spacious net size, the 30" arms being more than ample for the biggest fish in the ,local lake and there were absolutely no problems with lack of rigidity anywhere, the spigot fitting in to the spreader block making it remarkably stronger all round-and no 'give' or sagging of the arms under load. So much so that I have now cut off more than 1/8" from the metal hinge block thickness and totally dispensed with the tyings on the ends of the brass straps. Five rivets per side is more than strong enough! The hinge pins have also been reduced to half their original size, which has meant re-bushing the ends to suit, but tests have proved that they are still more than adequate for the job.
The tyings on the metal loops which hold the net cord are necessary of course, but have been changed in colour to match the ferrule tying, that being home dyed plum colour with copper wire on the edge.
The spreader block has also been thinned down by over 1/8" to match the hinge block and bigger chamfers filed on the edges. There is still a full 100% overlap where the arms locate, but this could be reduced down a bit.
The centre bolt has been lightened by shortening to no longer than required, a concave form put in the end and the grip grooves made much deeper and wider-which is better for cold, wet fingers to turn! In practice, it was found that merely finger tightening the screw, without any tools at all, was totally adequate to hold the assembly rigid. The screw has also now been made 'captive' in the spreader block to prevent it being accidentally dropped and lost.
The greenheart arms are only marginally heavier than laminated bamboo ones and there is no problem or doubt about their strength, but I have no plans to make any more from this material in the foreseeable..

It has not been tried out yet but feels much better all round..we shall see...
Here are a few pictures-not very good but you can see the changes made.

Firstly, the tyings were removed from the arm straps..

..and the net cord loops were retied with '15' grade, Talbot thread.

Next, all the metal parts were re-worked. The 'line' finish (just visible) on the top of the hinge block was the result of letting the lathe cutter run across in 4mm movements. I was going to rub that smooth afterwards but thought it might look a bit different so have left it!

The handle ferrule was then fitted and tied to the new handle..

..and the arms put back on the hinge block.

Which completes the 'makeover'.

..Hope you like the changes.. Will be starting the Nos.2 & 3 nets again very soon now.

Regards to all,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Richard Walker net makeover..

Post by Mark »

A work of art wm+. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Great to hear from you again WM+!

A stunning piece of work once again! Your "upgrades" sound incredible.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Beautiful.

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

Absolutely stunning! :Hat:

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

that is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship Sir, who would not want to own such a net? only a madman, stunning Sir Stunning.

regards

bjp

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Superb, beautiful. I'd hesitate to get it wet.

Pete

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Stunning work as ever
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Absolutely stunning work as always. :Hat:

I've always thought these Richard Walker type nets were way overbuilt and I can understand the desire to copy the original design but I am sure with a bit of free thinking, a lot more material could be removed from the fittings, spreader block and even the limbs to give significant weight saving yet without the likelihood of breakage occurring during normal use.

Well done on the improvements wm+ and perhaps numbers 2 and 3 will be even lighter.

Wal.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Magnificently gorgeous and pleasing to my eyes. Natural material beautified even more.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”