Crabtree net ferrule stoppers

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Paul Cook
Grayling

Crabtree net ferrule stoppers

Post by Paul Cook »

If ever there was an item of fishing tackle that was constantly mislaid ,dropped in the grass or worse , dropped in the current of a fast flowing river never to be seen again , then the ferrule stopper has got to rank high as one of those items . They are a pain to make at times but they do look nice .
I had a neighbour who was a keen woodturner and supplied me with a vast array of wooden stoppers over the years , but alas his health gave way due to old age and so that much appreciated supply eventually dried up so now I have to resort to making them myself .
Two piece landing net handles lend themselves to stoppers although slightly larger and to me,a lot easier to work with .
I decided to make some slightly unusual ones using a combination of materials , brass , wood and bamboo . It is amazing what you can find while rummaging through boxes in the workshop and I knew I had some very tasteful Turkish Walnut off cuts as well as some brass offcuts .I have to admit they were a bit of a pain to make but after much turning on the lathe , a dunk in the impregnation fluid for a few days , they are finally complete .

Barbulus
Tench

Re: Crabtree net ferrule stoppers

Post by Barbulus »

Paul - as the beneficiary of a fellow Forum members skill and generosity in supplying me with wooden ferrule stoppers for my rods I can absolutely identify how you felt with your friends similar gifts to you. Your own ferrule stoppers now for the landing net handle you have crafted are also stunning. A beautiful addition to the net handle. Delightful all round.

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Barbulus wrote:Paul - as the beneficiary of a fellow Forum members skill and generosity in supplying me with wooden ferrule stoppers for my rods I can absolutely identify how you felt with your friends similar gifts to you. Your own ferrule stoppers now for the landing net handle you have crafted are also stunning. A beautiful addition to the net handle. Delightful all round.
Thanks Barbulus , yes I agree , there are some decent folk on board here so I can understand your appreciation . My old neighbour appreciated his cigars so we did plenty of swaps over the years .
I am just finishing a 6ft one piece de lux net for one of our esteemed mods so there will be only only stopper required for this net , so a little easier especially now I have found my way round making them .

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Loving all those items but the landing net brasswork detail particularly catches the eye.
Especially as its not a user friendly material to work with. It does take a finish well.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

If only I had a smidgen of the skills you guys have I would be a happy man! Superb job Paul, you must have the patience of Job!!!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

They look incredible, truly amazing.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Makes my drilled Champagne cork look pretty naff :(

Lovely work as always, Paul. :Hat:

Impregnation tank....eh? Rather goes with that red-spot ferrule then :Thumb:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

On a friend's Swimversa, the ferrule stoppers are sewn by cord into the rod bag and I thought that was a great way of not losing them?

Your work here, the skill required (not mentioning the patience) is an inspiration.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Simply gorgeous !

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”