The wife asked.....?

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Aitch
Pike

The wife asked.....?

Post by Aitch »

What I would like for my birthday..... and I replied "a landing net and handle" she said yes.... :huray: so can you chaps give me an idea of how much a traditional net and handle would cost.... I'm looking for something that'll handle up to mid double carp comfortably but not look too huge for smaller species... a single piece handle, no longer than the length of a MkIV carp rod butt section (so it fits into my holdall comfortably)

Any help or advice gratefully received

Thanks.... Aitch
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Aitch
Pike

Re: The wife asked.....?

Post by Aitch »

Bump...!.....?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Bluelabel, if you can tolerate the handle sticking out of the end of your holdall I'd go for a one piece 6' long version. Currently I'm using a cheap modern metal net handle that is telescopic and nearly 7' long. Add a 36" net to that and it gives me enough reach to net carp when fishing alone. I have a vintage 5' 6" handle and on some occasions I don't think it's long enough given that we want to protect the rod tip from too much strain.

I believe Paul Cook and Jason White amongst others can supply. But I'm not sure on the cost of either.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I would think anything from about £150 to £1200. I have a Paul Cook landing net and handle on order which is midway between these two prices.

As with anything Bluelabel its what you want to pay for something that matters.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

TBH cash is tight this year, and I would prefer to spend about £150 max.... if that's not going to be enough, then I might have to fall back on trying to make a handle and use a stock (read modern) head :cry:

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Bluelabel wrote:TBH cash is tight this year, and I would prefer to spend about £150 max.... if that's not going to be enough, then I might have to fall back on trying to make a handle and use a stock (read modern) head :cry:
If I may add to this; as with everything else, you get largely what you pay for-unless you get incredibly lucky and find that once-in-a-lifetime-bargain, which not many of us do.
High-end quality nets, built along 'traditional' lines cost a lot; there are no two ways about it. This is largely due to the time is takes to do it, more than the actual cost of materials, although that must come into it. You only have to ask anyone who has made one to know just how long can be spent on seemingly small details and to anyone who does this kind of work professionally cannot-with the best will in the world-work for nothing, or next to it.
Many people out there have their own ideas about how much things should and ought to cost-but very often that has no basis in economic facts within the real world in which we all live. Sorry if that sounds a bit hard but I have been caught out so many times that one tends to go that way..A case in point; recently, I spent three entire weekends working hard manually, making some fittings for someone, made the best job I could, sent it all off and never so much as had an offer to cover my postage-let alone the cost of the work! One 3-line email to say it had arrived and that was it.. C'est la Vie, eh?

However, what you suggest is actually a very good idea! Why not make your own net handle and-for the time being-add a ready-made, modern net head? Many others already do and it's something which you can change later on, if you wish.
Making a top-quality handle takes time and experience. A lot of it, but it doesn't have to be top end to start with. Making a net handle is a lot easier than you might at first think. Essentially, you need a good Burma-or Tonkin pole, about 18-20mm at the thinnest end and you can buy this either from a garden centre or on-line, although doing that is something of a gamble as to the quality!
There is plenty of advice on this forum on how to straighten and treat it afterwards. All you need then is a suitable ferrule with a 3/8" BSF female thread and something to tidy up the other end. Again, I have lost count of the number of those I have made gratis, but they are out there, if you search hard enough.
You can finish and decorate your net handle to your own taste and get immense pleasure from catching a fish with something you have made yourself!
So why not give it a try and see how you get on?

I wish you all the best with it!

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've fished for many years with the combo of traditional handle and a modern net head and it looks better than you may expect. I would think one of those 30" round net heads you can buy would look alright with a bamboo pole handle.

Sometimes on ebay you'll see replica Walker nets. The last one sold for £101. My feeling was it was in need of total restoration but like an idiot I forgot about the sale which I think ended at an odd time of day midweek. Another option would be to see if you can get hold of a Dave Austin made net head. I think he's stopped doing them now but you may find one for sale somewhere. I have one which I've since had refinished for me to a very high standard but I've yet to use it. And I'm aware of the madness of that sentence having taken a long time to acquire a vintager looking net why is that I still rely on a modern net and cheap one at that – well it's one less thing to worry about looking after on the gravel banks of my local club water and the net head and pole bit fit neatly into a 'stink tube' that saves my car from fishy smells.

Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm if cash is tight I'd think hard about why you want the net and perhaps it's something to wait on for a while. I would love to have a Walker style net, I've wanted one for more than 20 years, one day I keep telling myself, one day.

One final thought – one easy you sometime see very reasonably price Effgeco net heads. You need a new net itself to modern fish care quality but it would give you a sort of retro look for not much money.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

Bluelabel
I have tried to PM you (not sure if I have done it properly) but I may be in a position to help you! Please give me a ring if you are not sorted out.
Ajsrider

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Many Thanks for the info, PM's, offers, and ideas folks, A kind offer from a fellow forum member has me sorted... when it arrives I'll post a few pics...

I'm often surprised by the camaraderie of the people on these boards and spirit of friendship therein.... I have to say that compared to some fora, this place is a veritable breath of fresh air...

Long may it continue :Hat: :Thumb:

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Well played gentlemen, you've done it again! :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”