My New Traditional Net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Ajsrider
Minnow

My New Traditional Net

Post by Ajsrider »

Dear all
Just thought I would let you know that I have finished my Mkll laminated teardrop landing net. This one had a brass spreader block. The Mkl sported an American Walnut spreader block.
The Mkll is made from strips of Sapele whereas the Mkl was strips of Mahogany.

The Mkll has a whole cane handle from an old fishing rod and the Mkl had a split cane handle from the bottom section of a Dawsons ‘The Naze’ Sea rod

Both used Snowbee Large net bags with 76 loops and have the net sewn in.

I have to wait to try it out until 26th July so I took the liberty of telling you guys about it as a way to relieve the frustration.
It’s a shame I can’t put pictures on so you can see~ although in some ways it’s a godsend as I am sure they don’t measure up to the others I have seen on here.

I have one steamed and laminated Frame and a Walnut Spreader block with no thread insert and a split cane landing net handle left just in case I need something to do over winter: unless it can help someone on here.

It is quite surprising how long these projects take.
Now I just want to use it.

Paul D

Re: My New Traditional Net

Post by Paul D »

Love to see some pictures Sir... if your spare frame ever needs a home :drool:

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

Further update
The mk1 is 22.5" wide and 25.5" deep with a 56" handle
The Mk2 is 24" wide and 29" deep with a 62" handle

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

I have almost learned how to do it

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

I have some pictures of the spreader blocks and the net sewn in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Lovely work! Well done Sir!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Ajsrider
Minnow

Post by Ajsrider »

The Mk2 Spreader Block was made as an assembly of 4 separate pieces of Brass then Brazed together. The home made 3/8 BSF Studding, The Flat V section was tapped 3/8 BSF, a round collar with a filed V with a 10mm clearance hole for the studding and a tapered 3/8 BSF collar. I screwed them all together then had to find a friendly Brazier to stick them all together. This took some time and a lot of filing to fettle to shape.

The Mk1 strips were steamed using a wallpaper stripper/steamer inside a plastic rainwater down pipe they took about 15 minutes and were just about done when the pipe distorted. The strips were bent round a former made from an old reshaped kitchen worktop.

The Mk2 I used the same steamer but with Brown plastic soil pipe they took about 25 minutes ~ that distorted also but I managed to use it again to steam strips for a 3rd frame.

All the steaming was done Vertically so the pipes had to be well supported. But they still went floppy and bent.

The difficult task was to cut the groove for the sewn in net after the Lamination process. I ended up using a Marquetry Inlay Tool It was pretty ancient but did the job after lots of trial and error attempts with other tools. Its a bit like a Marking Gauge with a cutting blade not a scriber.
I found the best thing to pull the net attachment cords through the holes was a Solar baiting needle. I used 2 lengths of Black Spider Dacron as the retainer.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Lovely nets

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Exceptional.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”