Inspired

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Steve59

Inspired

Post by Steve59 »

After skimming through this section I've been inspired to consider creating and making rather then simply buying new, there's some beautiful looking nets here that are works of art and just screaming out to be handled.
Here's a photo of the only traditional net I have, sadly I've never used it it's now just a display piece.
I suspect it's either just a top section or the cork butt end has broken off sometime in its past, perhaps one day I'll have a go at restoring and using it.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Inspired

Post by LuckyLuca »

That looks a great fixer upper Steve. Get it fixed and back into use mate!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Yes, get it used, it's what the net would have wanted...

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

Agree, looks nice on the wall but would be stunning with a chub in it.
Something that concerns me is the net knots, couldn't they potentially damage the fish?

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Steve59 wrote:Agree, looks nice on the wall but would be stunning with a chub in it.
Something that concerns me is the net knots, couldn't they potentially damage the fish?
Possibly but I think you can get traditional looking 'fish friendly' knotless nets... :Hat:

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

Scott wrote:
Steve59 wrote:Agree, looks nice on the wall but would be stunning with a chub in it.
Possibly but I think you can get traditional looking 'fish friendly' knotless nets... :Hat:
Cheers Scott, I do tend to try and maintain every item of the things I restore but where the welfare of the fish is concerned I guess sacrifices need to be made.
Fortunately we have the Internet these days and sourcing materials is a walk in the park, well most of the time.
Regards
Steve

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Scott's right Steve, you should be able to get a replacement net that fits, snowbee do quite good ones. I replaced an old knotted net on a folding metal effgeeco net and it looks great

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

GazTheAngler wrote:Scott's right Steve, you should be able to get a replacement net that fits, snowbee do quite good ones. I replaced an old knotted net on a folding metal effgeeco net and it looks great
Cheers Gaz
I've got a broken modern day landing net so could rob and adapt the black net off that, what do you think? Or should I try to get a sisal coloured one to keep it looking authentic.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I have a lovely ash hoop net with a quite open knotless mesh, caught a chub, swan shot got caught up, scale lost and a bit of fin damage, never again, I replaced it the next day with a very fine modern mesh, you have to decide on the priority.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Steve59

Post by Steve59 »

Mushy wrote:I have a lovely ash hoop net with a quite open knotless mesh, caught a chub, swan shot got caught up, scale lost and a bit of fin damage, never again, I replaced it the next day with a very fine modern mesh, you have to decide on the priority.
Fish has to have priority every time in my book. :Wink:

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”