Handle length...

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Anglingbear
Silver Bream

Handle length...

Post by Anglingbear »

After breaking a second "modern" net handle by stepping on it, I'm contemplating a traditional one. The modern one was a hardy 8ft telescopic one which looked quite traditional, but was very handy being telescopic.. What's the maximum length a wooden one could be, and the maximum amount of sections? Ideally an 8-9ft, 3 section handle would be perfect....

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Handle length...

Post by Beresford »

I'd say 6' 6", in one piece. Adding a brass ferrule adds to the all up weight. I have a 5' 6" handle and its not exactly light but I think 6.6 would be the longest I'd contemplate.

I often use a realtively modern telescopic 7' handle – I like the extra reach to protect the rod tip when netting a fish.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I have a 7' two piece bamboo handle which is hollow, not too heavy and does the job, although when using a 12' rod it's still a bit of a stretch to net a fish so an 8 or 9' would be better with that length of rod.
I also have a one piece 5' handle but found I was over stretching myself and putting a lot of bend and stress on the rod tip when using it. I still use that one with shorter fly rods, but a longer handle is much better for rods over 10'.

The Mog

Post by The Mog »

I have an old Efgeeco telescopic aluminium one that does me .I do have a modern one for those swims where you need the extended length but it only gets used about 20% of the time

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I find a handle of 5ft 6in to 6ft 6in just about perfect for most of my fishing but on the occasion where a bit more length is required such as sloping river banks, I carry a screw in handle extension.

I have made them in whole cane and built cane of various lengths from 18 inches to 30 inches and with similar coloured threads, cane pattern etc to match the handle itself.
They do add a bit of weight to the handle but don't take up much room in the holdall and can be a godsend on those rare occasions when you just cant reach out with the net or lift the rod far enough. They can even be used as a bankstick by screwing a short aluminium bankstick on the end.

A couple of examples below.

Wal.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I'm with Wal. I've not found a problem with a net handle just below 6'. By the time you add the net head, you are looking at near 8'. Unless you are fishing from a particularly high bank, I can't see a need for longer. As said above, the extra length will add a fair bit of weight
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”