Landing Net Mesh

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Landing Net Mesh

Post by Mark »

Some of you chaps may remember that I treated myself to a Paul Cook landing net and handle a couple of years ago, a lovely piece of kit.

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... =5&t=16150

A few months ago I sent the net head back to Paul with along with a modern mesh and asked him to exchange them as the standard mesh that Paul supplied with the original net is not allowed on some of the waters I fish, it too big. So the only way I was able to fish these places was to use a different net or replace the mesh with a modern one.

I think eventually this may become the norm mesh wise for landing nets.

Pic.jpg

It looks a lot better in the flesh than in my picture above, it does not do it justice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Landing Net Mesh

Post by OldTackle »

Same rules over here, Mark. Whatever serves the fish is most welcome. Looks very nice.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Looks great, Mark and I'm sure it's more fish friendly. Looking at the massive mesh on some nets often makes me cringe!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

That's a nice pic Mark, the net looks lovely as do the reels.
What size is the net?
Best regards
Mem

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Jardine wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:52 pm That's a nice pic Mark, the net looks lovely as do the reels.
What size is the net?
Best regards
Mem
Thanks Mem, the net is 19" wide x 24" deep, perfect for the chub.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

:Thumb:

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Very nice. I like the back ground very much, too. :Hat:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

fine looking nets and background Mark. Question: How do you manage to oil the frame with the mesh like that? Presume you don't or it's varnished?

Paul Cook
Grayling

Post by Paul Cook »

Paul D wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 am fine looking nets and background Mark. Question: How do you manage to oil the frame with the mesh like that? Presume you don't or it's varnished?
The frames I make are treated with an impregnation fluid , so once they have been steam treated and shaped to the former , the frames are then dunked into a container to soak up the fluid .The longer the ash is left under soak the better . Once removed and dried I then sand down and apply several coats of varnish and polish back and wax finish . It may seem over the top as in reality the impregnation process would be enough to waterproof the wood .You can then apply a wax or oil as needs must .

I think Mark is correct in the assumption that eventually fisheries will only allow a certain style of mesh on their fisheries . The mesh I use is well within the safety standards required and has that traditional look but at the end of the day it is really more important to the care and safety of the fish , so if a fishery feels that a certain type of mesh is required then so be it .

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the explanation Paul. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”