Oval Cane net... cheap and cheerful !

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Old Man River
Eel

Oval Cane net... cheap and cheerful !

Post by Old Man River »

Hi, after making not too much of a pigs ear of my last Walker Style Net, I thought that for next season I need a smaller net suitable for smaller species, so with that in mind I set about gathering together bits and bobs for the build.
My criteria as last time was to keep cost to a minimum, being a true Yorkshireman that was a must, plus I love giving things a new lease of life after laying unused or forgotten about .
Firstly, I had been looking around trying to find a female threaded landing net head connector for quite a long time, and the only ones I could find were fitted to commercially made nets, no good for me,so eventually I had an idea .... to use something that was virtually identical but from a completely different article. that was the brass connecting piece from a set of Old chimney sweep brushes.. as luck would have it, I got in contact with Jeremy from Derbyshire, and he very kindly provided a couple for me to mess around with .
Next I needed the cane, that was easier as one of the main cane suppliers for the UK is only about 20 miles away, so I set off an purchased some , a length for a pole handle and a length of "split" cane normally used for making Archery bows, cost so far about £6.00.
The net was easy as I had a old "Keenets" pan net that had been hanging around in the workshop for years, I usually use it for drying out Daffodil bulbs when I lift them after flowering.
A last bit of brass from an inside letterbox was still here, I used the rest of it on my Walker Net.
A few bits of timber from the workshop, a few screws and some resin adhesive and I was away..

The first thing was to fabricate a female net head connector, after cleaning up Jeremy"s chimney rod connector, I measured it so that there was a good bit of solid brass available for drilling and tapping, I had to braze the two halves together , then cut it in half so that the solid"male part was strong and solid enough for at least a quarter of an inch, the socket part fitted the top of the landing net pole niceley. Polished up it looked ok.
Next up was the male threaded part, I had about six inches of stainless 3/8 BSF studding left from the Walker build, so that was good.
The landing net pole, was 6ft long, but had a few bends and kinks in it, so I flamed it and managed to straighten it fairly well, I have not yet found a way to straighten Cane without it being heated and flamed, so I went the whole hog and gave the pole a "Tigers Tail " appearance whilst I was at it.I inserted a further bit bamboo like a spigot into the "head " end of the pole and resined it in place, not I suppose really neccessary, but it is something I have always done to give extra strength to the pole.

Now for the frame,firstly I estimated the size of the Keenets net, and made a former for the bamboo to be set into to take on a teardrop shape, I then planed and cut the "Bow" bamboo to about 3/4 x 1/4 inch, then flamed it and bent it and put it into the former . Left for 24 hrs it took on a nice teardrop shape, I fabricated the net support and thread holder part from a bit of wood left from another project.
Once everything was in place on the former I could see that it looked OK, I tried the net on the frame, that was OK, next bit was to sand it all down niceley, and give it a coat of dark oak stain, I rather like the look of dark oak, it also matches the flamed pole.
I had been thinking about varnishing the pole and frame, but I quite liked the muted look of a duller finish, so I decided to treat the pole and frame with Boiled linseed oil, as you would a traditional basket...the last job was to make the brass net head support... this was not strictly neccessary at all, as the bamboo had been glued and screwed to the wood "spreader", but I like the look of polished brass, so the leftover brass from the letter box was cut to shape, polished drilled and fitted. Job Done.

Here is the finished article..
Image Image Image Image

Total Cost including a few brass screws, and some resin adhesive, probably just short of a tenner.

Thanks for looking, and again, thanks to Jeremy for the gift of the chimney sweep rod connectors, I could not have completed it without them.!

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Re: Oval Cane net... cheap and cheerful !

Post by Bobthefloat »

Wow that is stunning sir and all done on a budget brilliant :Hat:

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Brilliant :cheers:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Excellent job OMR, well done..

Wal.

Muscavado
Grayling

Post by Muscavado »

A fabulous job, well done.
I take my hat off to you Sir :Hat:

John

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Superb.... are you taking orders...? :Wink: :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

My Dad's going to be really cross when he next wants to sweep his chimney! :Chuckle:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

:oops: ! :whistle:

Thanks Jeremy, tell him it was for a good cause !

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Now the only thing I can think of is a beautiful net. Well done OMR! :Hat:
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Fettling of the finest kind, sir.

Troutbeck
:Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”