Efgeeco landing net frame question

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Efgeeco landing net frame question

Post by Duckett »

LuckyLuca was kind enough to PM me regarding the waxed cord on his spreader blocks that holds the net in place. I've just ordered a Snowbee rubberised net (72” version - corrected 11 June 2018, thanks to Mattjb) and I have some vintage, very thick, backing line I recovered from a 1930s Aerialite. I'm going to use that to replace the cord linking the two arms as well as the loops through the spreader block and net. Once the job is done, I'll post some pictures, with close-ups, on this thread.

Phil
Last edited by Duckett on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Well, i’ve just finished fitting the Snowbee rubberised net I bought for the Efgeeco landing net frame. Threading the alloy arms through the netting was trickier and more fiddly than I had expected - the rubber netting kept sticking to the alloy and the figure of 8 rings for the end chord kept catching in the net until I wrapped them in masking tape.

Tying the two loops of waxed chord linking the net to the spreader block was simple enough but threading the waxed chord for the open end was proving impossible until I hit upon the idea of tying one end to a knitting needle. Tying off the length of waxed chord to the two figure of 8 rings at the open end took me two efforts. I had assumed a little slack once the the head was screwed into my landing net handle would be fine. I was wrong. If the chord isn’t taught, the arms don’t hold steady and looked to me as if they might fall out. I might have spotted that if there had been a net and chord I suppose.

If I am honest, if I ever fit another net, I’d replace the two figure of 8 rings at the end of the arms with split rings. This would be a lot less fiddly. As promised, photos below. Thanks to Wal (Wallys-Cast) for the restoration job on the landing net pole cum tip protector - a lovely job.

ImageImageImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very nice indeed Phil.
The rubberised net looks the part.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

May I ask which net you purchased for the 24 inch frame? Thanking you.

I have several nets I would like to replace with rubber.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:17 pm May I ask which net you purchased for the 24 inch frame? Thanking you.

I have several nets I would like to replace with rubber.
I went for the Snowbee 72 inch replacement rubber net (corrected 11 June 2018 - thanks to Mattjb). It just fits the 24 inch arms of the Efgeeco I was working on.
Last edited by Duckett on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That's great and many thanks. It now gives me something to go on.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

The mesh net on mine looks so similar but not rubberised and is knotless I should think it is a replacement. Were the original nets for these knotted?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Reedling wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 am The mesh net on mine looks so similar but not rubberised and is knotless I should think it is a replacement. Were the original nets for these knotted?
In my web picture searches to try and work out what to do with the holes on the spreader block, I saw several Efgeeco nets with brown knotted mesh. So, I think the answer is yes. I haven't seen one in the flesh though.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I am pretty sure it has been replaced at some point Duckett, it was just that it looked like it had a bit of age to it. Thankfully no damage so will keep as is, but those rubberised nets look good and I have found them on the net should I ever need one.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Here is a picture of my net, the arms are 31 inches long. The net is quite a snug fit on the frame as you can see.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”