Early folding Landing Net?

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Early folding Landing Net?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes, that's the pear shaped one Steve.

Here it is in the Ogden Smiths catalogue from 1939. No 3000 sounds about right, 14 inch arms and leather thong.

Wal.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

LuckyLuca wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 am I have seen this type of net ring in a catalogue somewhere but I can't find it at the moment, there is also a pear shaped net ring which opens and folds on the same principal. I am almost certain it is called the Paragon.

Wal.
Something like this one Wal? viewtopic.php?f=66&t=17731&hilit=landing
Great feed back LuckyLuca many thanks.

:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:02 pm Yes, that's the pear shaped one Steve.

Here it is in the Ogden Smiths catalogue from 1939. No 3000 sounds about right, 14 inch arms and leather thong.

Wal.
That looks just like it. I'll check the dimensions when I get home from work. Many thanks Wal.

:Hat:

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

I have a similar one. :Hat:

This one has all brass canfilever construction, arm, pivot pice and thread. Onto this are riveted two high tensile steel 18” arms. Once on the pole the cantilever action bows out the net against the tension of the drawcord as per Richard Walker style nets.

It could be home made to copy the style of yours, or maybe even factory made. It looks like the pivot piece is based on a link from a large bicycle chain but being brass it would be too soft for this, more likely a case the eye is seeing what it wants to see. The the brass arm assemblies are rather well made for a home made jobby though unless the maker was quite skilled.

"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:02 pm Yes, that's the pear shaped one Steve.

Wal.
Measured it up Wal. It is 19" along the arms, but nearer to 14" across the leather thong at the front of the net.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”