Split cane landing net arms

Traditional landing nets large and small.
RyanBurns

Split cane landing net arms

Post by RyanBurns »

Hi All,
Whilst sorting through my cane supplies today i realised that i have a huge amount of odd strips of cane and parts of culms. Most of this is mainly the leftovers when splitting a culm for a rod, I also tend to split 7 strips for each rod section, so as i always have a spare.
Rather than throw all of this perfectly good cane away, if there is enough interest from forum memmbers i will plane it all up into strips to make landing net arms. I have had a quick look on ebay this evening and you can purchase spreader blocks for less than a fiver. I could then supply two pieces of split cane, with the appropriate size brass ferrule fitted to fit into the spreader. the blocks i looked at had an id of 12mm so i would fit a 10/11mm ferrule to the end I dont really want to finish the nets, so you would have to whip/ varnish them as you please.
If a enough people are interested to make it worth while i would be able to offer a pair of arms with ferrules fitted for approx £30. I would probably offer them in three sizes 20 26 and 32 inch lengths, unless others think different sizes may be better.
If anybody is interested let me know, they would probably be ready in the new year and no payment would be needed until they were ready to be dispatched.
All the best
Ryan

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Split cane landing net arms

Post by Beresford »

I'm not making a definite commitment but subject to sight some photographs of a finished example I'd be interested but I think I'd want 36" arms.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

RyanBurns

Post by RyanBurns »

Hi Beresford and others who contacted me via PM. I have today made a set of arms for myself, These will be 32" when finished. Ihave attatched a couple of pictures of them being glued up. Please note the enamel is still on at this stage, they will look a lot different tomorrow once it is removed.

I will post pictures tomorrow when they are at the stage which i will supply them, with the ferrules fitted. I will then finish this set and show you how they turn out.
Ryan

RyanBurns

Post by RyanBurns »

Image Image
Just another quick update on the prototype landing net. The arms are now at the stage which they will be supplied. The split cane has been cleaned up and the enamel removed. The brass ferrules have been fitted. As this is a larger net i am going to use a large plastic spreader block which i had lying around. Smaller nets would be able to use a nicer looking alloy spreader.
To the top end of mine i have attatched a loop of wire, held in place by a brass tube, this is how i shall attatch the drawstring. Im sure you guys will think up a much better way of doing this.
I shall whip and varnish these and post pictures of the finished net. Im hoping to post a picture of a nice zander lying in the net over christmas!
Ryan

RyanBurns

Post by RyanBurns »

I will give you a ring in the next few days john, might have been better to pm your number though!
I will also put up some pictures of my finished net soon too
happy new year!
Ryan

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Very interesting thread Ryan. I would like to try a round pan type landing net, about 24" diameter made from laminated cane, probably three strips, steamed and made around a former. would probably need to end up teardrop shape with a triangular spreader block made probably from brass 1/2" plate with brass clamps on the outside of the cane rim which is fitted to the block with counter sunk brass screws. a simple 3/8bsf stainless thread in the base as brass will be too soft i think with punishment i give nets. I will probably have to have a 36" set of arms though to meat my club's minimum size requirement and i will look into the possibility of having a brass spreader block made that will look a bit more 'traditional' or even 'Walker'esque' when the engineering works opens in the new year

RyanBurns

Post by RyanBurns »

Finally managed to finish my net today, the mesh i put on was a little large for these particular arms, and i will probably will change it before i use the net.
Greentura- I am sure brass spreaders would look much nicer, it is only the cost of getting them made which stopped me from using brass on mine, I was trying to keep the costs as low as possible! Good luck with you pan net project!Image Image Image Image

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Nice job Ryan :thumb:
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Beautiful :thumb:
niceroach

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”