Homemade

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Waterweed

Re: Homemade

Post by Waterweed »

Hello Snape- It may be a bit tricky for me to provide some pics of my net! I'm still on 35mm and couldn't fathom out how to operate a digital camera if you paid me.(can't find where to put the film in!!) As for loading them onto the forum, well thats another universe. I am incorrigibly retro when it comes to all this new fangled technology.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Waterweed wrote:Hello Snape- It may be a bit tricky for me to provide some pics of my net! I'm still on 35mm and couldn't fathom out how to operate a digital camera if you paid me.(can't find where to put the film in!!) As for loading them onto the forum, well thats another universe. I am incorrigibly retro when it comes to all this new fangled technology.
Fair enough Waterweed, we'll just have to imagine it then. :thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Having completed one design of net with 3 interchangeable tops (using ferrules). I am looking at another design with a traditional Walker type spreader, using the longest pair of arms from my previous design. My problem seems to be sourcing large gauge copper nails and roves (like small copper washers) in small quantities without paying huge prices for p&p. In reality I only need 2 of each and even buying the smallest quantity (about a dozen at £3) all of the companies seem to charge about £5 for delivery and in one case £10 this sounds a lot for a couple of nails. If anyone knows of a suitable source I would be grateful
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

MGs, looking at doing a similar spreader as your wood one, where did you source your ferrule counters from?
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Hi Chevin. they are parts of an old extending rod rest/net handle. The wall thickness of both parts (male and female) are about 1.5mm, external male diameter about 15mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinsmore-50-9 ... 1c1572bb89

Something with tube sizes like the above. As they are designed to fit inside each other. Some of the tubing was bent so no longer usable for its intended purpose.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

MGs wrote:Having completed one design of net with 3 interchangeable tops (using ferrules). I am looking at another design with a traditional Walker type spreader, using the longest pair of arms from my previous design. My problem seems to be sourcing large gauge copper nails and roves (like small copper washers) in small quantities without paying huge prices for p&p. In reality I only need 2 of each and even buying the smallest quantity (about a dozen at £3) all of the companies seem to charge about £5 for delivery and in one case £10 this sounds a lot for a couple of nails. If anyone knows of a suitable source I would be grateful

MGs; I have quite a lot of various sizes of genuine boat-building copper nails with roves to match. You are more than welcome to as many as you want. Just send a PM or call by arrangement.

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

WM+

Thanks. Since posting that, I have been having a bit of a re-think. Given that I may at some stage wish to remove the arms, I was looking at alternative options without having nuts and bolts sticking out.
I have some brass book binding screws of around the correct size

These with a bit of threadlock should work fine, look neat and give me the option to undo if required.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”