Homemade

Traditional landing nets large and small.
MGs
Pike

Re: Homemade

Post by MGs »

Having come to a bit of a halt (waiting for the last coat of varnish to dry on the arms, run out of sandpaper for the handle). A bit of a progress report. I have decided to keep the handle at a usable size. I have therefore cut it down to 5'5" including the block for the arms, it is approximately 3/4" in diameter over its length. This means it will fit in my rod holdall. I have whipped around the threaded insert. I have bonded a rubber rod button to the end. I am in the process of sanding down the length and nodes before whipping them. I have contemplated "flaming" it although I'm not sure how difficult this is (I don't want to set fire to it, having got this far). I'll probably leave it plain like the one I used when I was a kid (not that I ever caught much that needed landing).

Total expenditure will be less than £40 (when I get the sandpaper tomorrow)

Canes £3.99 (I still have 9 left)
Rubber button (old spare)
Threaded insert (broken bankstick)
Dowel for arms 2 x 21" 2 x 32" £13.00
Whipping thread £4.00
Varnish (part of stock)
New net (small) £7.00
Large net already owned
Marine Ply (left over from previous jobs - enough stock for 3-400 more blocks :o )
Alloy tubing - male and female ferrules (laying about in the garage from other projects)
3/8" Stainless steel bolt £3.50

Not bad for a dual purpose landing net with two tops, when commercial alternatives cost anything from £200-500.

Ok, it has been a lot of hard work and plenty of trial and error. However, it has been an interesting project. Especially as it has be achieved with nothing other than normal DIY tools and a bit of elbow grease.

I'll upload some final pictures when I get the handle finished.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Looking forward to it mate, then I can put my order in.............. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Just finished whipping the nodes and waiting for the first coat varnish to dry on the handle. I'm not sure I fancy this as a job without some more mechanisation. My hands are a bit sore.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Almost done. Just one more coat of varnish on the handle to go.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Beautiful!!! :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Nic one MGs, looks great. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Yes very nice MGs :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks guys. I'm pleased with it. I'm glad I decided to make the handle. It is far more robust than the rod handle option. I just need some warmer weather to go and give it a test.

Waterweed

Post by Waterweed »

Getting a nice traditional landing net to match your cane and pin is without doubt, one of the difficult areas of assembling your traditional tackle armoury. Unless you can afford to splash out on a custom made net, your only option is a bit of home handywork. I simply went to see a local metal fabricator and asked him to make me a 24' round alloy metal ring, with a loop and thread coupling. I had a 33' deep, dark green, half-inch mesh, made to fit the ring fairly loosely. I made a 2 piece handle myself using the brass ferrules from an old float rod, and a stout 7ft cane pole from the local garden centre. This I flame treated, whipped and varnished with surprisingly good results. A lot of traditional nets can be very heavy but my finished net is fairly light, strong and easy to use. It has been my main net for barbel and carp for 8 years and is still going strong. Worth the effort and it even looks quite nice as well!
Last edited by Waterweed on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Waterweed wrote:Getting a nice traditional landing net to match your cane and pin is without doubt, one of the difficult areas of assembling your traditional tackle armoury. Unless you can afford to splash out on a custom made net, your only option is a bit of home handywork. I simply went to see a local metal fabricator and asked him to make me a 24' round alloy metal ring, with a loop and thread coupling. I had a 33' deep, dark green, quarter-inch mesh, made to fit the ring fairly loosely. I made a 2 piece handle myself using the brass ferrules from an old float rod, and a stout 7ft cane pole from the local garden centre. This I flame treated, whipped and varnished with surprisingly good results. A lot of traditional nets can be very heavy but my finished net is fairly light, strong and easy to use. It has been my main net for barbel and carp for 8 years and is still going strong. Worth the effort and it even looks quite nice as well!
It would be good to see some photos waterweed...
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”