Two Piece Whole Cane Landing Net - Images Required

Traditional landing nets large and small.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Two Piece Whole Cane Landing Net - Images Required

Post by TemeLAD »

Does anyone have any images from old tackle catalogues of a two piece whole cane landing net handle that they would be prepared to add to this post in response or if preferred message me and I will let you have my email address.

Sorry unable to post any images at present as it is bits following a hasty decision to refurbish it :Confused:

Length c.7ft - made up of 2 equal sized lengths of flamed cane. Brass fittings - butt cap, threaded end piece and ferrules (no makers mark).

The male ferrule also has a tapered dowel to help with the location in the female ferrule and I assume improve its strength. There appears to be remnants of dye from now missing whippings on this dowel, which I also assume helped with a snug fit as the bare dowel now moves loosely within the cane. The whippings appear spaced like intermediates.

I am attempting to confirm that my suspicions about the missing whippings are correct and if so I would like to replace them before reassembling the components.

Any help forthcoming by fellow members would be most appreciated. Thank you :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Two Piece Whole Cane Landing Net - Images Required

Post by Nobby »

You see those large tapered ferrule tenons on whole cane match rods from time to time.

I did see on on eBay last week...went for £60. Though I don't think it had ferrules.

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RARE- ... 7675.l2557

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Thank you very much Nobby that is really helpful :Hat:

The brassware looks identical but as you say no tenon.

Do you know whether the tenons on the whole cane rods you refer to were/are whipped in any way?

I have gone ahead and whipped it anyway just to try it and it has made a big difference to the fit, so a spot of varnish to seal them and I am good to progress to refitting the ferrule.

Thanks again :Thumb:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've just handled a few rods with those large tenon ferrules and they did indeed have whipping butting up next to them as rods always seemed to. I wonder if the taper of the tenon was supposed to lock the two pieces together, like a Morse taper if you are familiar with that? As opposed to suction ferrules that 99% of rods have.

I have a handle identical to that one that sold for £64, but had to add a section of studding to join them together. Originally it was one handle and one shaft to take a gaff.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Morse taper? - I am now - just Googled it!

It looks like the male part of the Morse taper but unless the female has been lost then it has never had one. There is no sign of damage to suggest it has gone missing. What surprised me is that the taper was there in addition to what looks like suction ferrules. Having now reattached the female ferrule I can fully appreciate the difference the whipping has made.

Thanks again Nobby very much obliged :Hat:

John Steinbeck

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”