Apex landing net frames

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Nailbourne

Apex landing net frames

Post by Nailbourne »

Donkey's years ago, in the 1960s, I used one of these for carp fishing. It was in the style of a Walker net, but was made with alloy arms. They were made in various sizes, up to about 36".

Also, at the same time, I used both triangular and circular frames, made of steel, that folded up. These were the standard nets of their time, and very affordable.

Neither type was as elegant as laminated wood frames, but were ubiquitous on the bankside - laminated nets were rarely seen.

I'd be very interested to know whether either type is still available.

Robbi
Tench

Re: Apex landing net frames

Post by Robbi »

i use one of the alloy triangular fold up ones with a bamboo handle all the time.
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I've got a small efggeco triangular alloy net.

I must admit that i'd like a round folding alloy one as well.

Gaz

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Still use Apex nets on a regular basis, I have cut one down to 30 inch and added a more modern two piece spreader block. This is my favourite stalking net.
Great things, virtually indestructible though sometimes need a bit of a bend back to shape after a real biggun has been hanging in it. So not very often then. :Hahaha:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nailbourne wrote: I'd be very interested to know whether either type is still available.
They turn up on ebay now and again.

Efgeeco.

Standard size. 14-16in.

Carp size. 36in.

Lee.

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

Thanks for that info., chaps! Clean forgot Efgeeco made them!

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Wow! I have just realised that I have one of the smaller Efgeeco type in my cellar. I've had it from when I was around 12 yrs of age. It was given to me by one of my dad's mates who took me barbel fishing. I must get a new net fitted to it.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

snowdee do a great new net for these, check out Ebay, they are only about £6
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Robbi wrote:snowdee do a great new net for these, check out Ebay, they are only about £6
Fantastic. Robbi, that ties in with my next post about ash framed nets :) Thank you.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

When I was a kid back in the sixties all you ever saw at the lakes and rivers were those metal triangular or round collapsing landing nets. I cannot remember ever seeing a wooden rimmed net. Dartford lakes and Horton kirby which I used to frequent, were well known Carp and Pike waters so I am sure I would have seen a wood one at some pont. I have triangular and round nets but they have old netting on them. I have seen these for sale on the net quite often. :Hat: Reedling.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”