Whipping thread for Sharpe's rods

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Bargee
Ruffe

Whipping thread for Sharpe's rods

Post by Bargee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:39 pm

I've noted a number of enquiries over the years about a suitable match for the lovely dark burgundy thread J. S. Sharpe used to whip their impregnated rods. I have just restored an 'Eighty Eight' and went for Fishhawk Maroon. It looked a little light and 'purple' when on the spool but darkened off nicely to a VERY close match when treated with 1 coat Sally Hansen Hard-as-Nails before varnishing. I tried it without the nail polish (just varnish) and there was no difference in the shade it was just a little transparent - you could see the ferrule splices and ring feet through it which is not an effect I like. Hope this may be of use to someone with a Scottie to fettle in the future.

'll soon have one of their magnificently regal spliced joint salmon rods to do...I need to engage in some gentle weight training according to the doctor!!!

Penninelad
Grayling

Re: Whipping thread for Sharpe's rods

Post by Penninelad » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 am

I re whipped a ferrule whipping on my Scottie Avon using undoped sari silk/rayon and have used the same thread to replace whippings on a couple of James rods and the match is good.I could send you a small sample for you to do a test whip on a piece of bamboo.If so Email me you name and address.i prefer this method to PM's as I am not notified of PM's received by email.My email is:-
edeophone@aol.com
Mark Davies

Bargee
Ruffe

Re: Whipping thread for Sharpe's rods

Post by Bargee » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks very much for that kind offer PL. As it is I'm very happy with the match from the Fishhawk maroon so no need to send me the sample. At least there are 2 suggestions out there now for others wishing to re-furbish one of Sharpes very fine sticks!

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”