Splitting cane

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Bobby Marlene
Crucian Carp

Splitting cane

Post by Bobby Marlene » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:19 pm

I did the check split on some poles that arrived yesterday. Getting ready to make a rod. Only thing I am lacking is some time...
Bobby

Chavender
Arctic Char

Re: Splitting cane

Post by Chavender » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 pm

time is all our enemy .this is something I've put off for a long time ,taking the step from using built cane section to making my own blanks ,one day i'll find the start up money and buy some forms etc and give it a go .love seeing people go through the process .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Ryeman
Silver Bream

Post by Ryeman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Chavender, you mention the cost of starting-up in bamboo rod building. I imagine it would be quite expensive to buy adjustable precision metal planing forms etc. I made three rods 50 years ago using the triangular former method. I wonder if anyone still used this , essentially, D.I.Y. method? The rods I made were a Mk.1V Carp, a Mk. 1V Avon, and a fly rod. All are still going strong... The triangular former method is a very cheap way to get into bamboo rod building, I planed up the formers by hand and used only basic hand tools for the whole thing. A couple of decent planes, well set-up, some Japanese water-stones to sharpen them with, a few other bits and pieces, and some accurate measuring tools.

Alan

Bobby Marlene
Crucian Carp

Post by Bobby Marlene » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:30 pm

I read some books about the early days of bamboo rod making. Even the greats like Dickerson made their first rods with very basic tools. It was when they had to increase output because they wanted to make a living of it that they upgraded to milling. We are all tackle tarts and it’s the same with the tools we use, we could do with less in everything we do.
I am glad to have some bamboo, it’s difficult to find. Bobby

Duebel
Arctic Char

Post by Duebel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Bobby, I'm looking forward to seeing your work in progress!
Ryeman wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:08 pm
Chavender, you mention the cost of starting-up in bamboo rod building. I imagine it would be quite expensive to buy adjustable precision metal planing forms etc. I made three rods 50 years ago using the triangular former method. I wonder if anyone still used this , essentially, D.I.Y. method? The rods I made were a Mk.1V Carp, a Mk. 1V Avon, and a fly rod. All are still going strong... The triangular former method is a very cheap way to get into bamboo rod building, I planed up the formers by hand and used only basic hand tools for the whole thing. A couple of decent planes, well set-up, some Japanese water-stones to sharpen them with, a few other bits and pieces, and some accurate measuring tools.

Alan
I've got Walker's book on rod building. There's a very detailed description on how to set up a wooden former. Hopefully I'll find the time to give it a go one day ...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 pm

:huray: That first rod is another step closer :huray:

Watch out though - it's addictive :Thumb:

Cheers
Steve

Bobby Marlene
Crucian Carp

Post by Bobby Marlene » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Duebel wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:48 pm
Bobby, I'm looking forward to seeing your work in progress!
Well, Martin, I hope you‘re very patient. But your are an angler for a reason. Gruß aus Zeeland, Chris

Bobby Marlene
Crucian Carp

Post by Bobby Marlene » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 pm

Shed_Monkey wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 pm
:huray: That first rod is another step closer :huray:

Watch out though - it's addictive :Thumb:

Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve, I am so glad with your support. Best, Chris

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”