prospective projects ,a bundle of rods

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Chavender
Eel

prospective projects ,a bundle of rods

Post by Chavender » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Back in august I received a small bundle of rods from a friend who didn't want too bother with them ,and too be fair they're not in best condition and if any are viable will need a lot of work & time .my problem being ,we was in a hot summer and the heat & me don't get on it makes me lethargic ,I don't feel like doing any work (bring on the winter) ,I unpacked them then stuck them up the attic until I felt like dealing with them .

once I did get too look them over ,I added them too my work log ,I keep a book with details of each item as is at time of receiving them and then measure them ,taking note of any damage etc ,I also log the measured taper (for possible future use ,if I like the action) then I make first thoughts on any restoration needed etc ,well it maybe months or years before I get around too them and its nice too have a baseline to work from and maybe improve upon .

the bundle included :

A odd rod of uneven lengths with a oddly long handle in comparision too rest of rod ,the splitcane is great as are most of the rings although covered in varnish ,they should clean up ,could be a simple job to realign the lengths of the rod .(see own thread).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Aspindales Avondale ,all three sections delaminated ,rusty rings and short tip : this is a total rebuild job ,so will have to wait ,I do have another Avondale ,so will strip both and rebuild as a matched pair .viable as although totally delaminated the cane looks good .Viable but lots of work.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a glass rod stamped "rapier" unknown maker .tip is short and rings worn tatty appearance: not sure if its cost effective to fix up .there are things I can do to sort it out ,add back the missing length (being hollo its a simple matter too add either another matching piece of glass rod ,internally sleaved and joint whipped over as if adding a quiver tip ,add a long solid quivertip or splice in a short carbon tip ,options ) fit modern rings and tart up the handle a bit with better reel bands and maybe replace the plastic cap with a flared end or butt cap & button & clear gloss it .or maybe just convert it too a pole for kids too use ? (strip back and add internal eleastic) .or just scrap for parts .Viable medium amount of work .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at least the butt caps ok ,its not a total loss afterall!

A unknown Spanish reed rod 11/12ft : Spanish reed with spliced tip light float rod with ferruless joints : its been bashed about ,the rings are all rusted up the reel bands are dented (umm stood on? ,damaged under cork? ) the butt section has some long splits in the reed and all the whippings are threadworn ,and again a short tip .if it was whole cane splits wouldn't be too much of a worry .but reed isn't the strongest when good ,and theres no telling whats damaged internally ,the mid section has a spliced end to a lower dia piece of reed ,that has a split near the ferruless end (I guess the step down was too fit the ferruless joint (whipped joint) in and compound the overall taper ,this is a easier thing too fix ,this section is salvageable .the tip has a foot or so of reed then a splitcane tipette ,this is a little short but might be able too save it .Its not rally viable as is ,but I might be able too make a lighter shorter rod from the salvable mid & tip sections ,maybe a kids float rod ? .a lot of work but doable.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A unknamed 10/11ft split cane rod ,being vintage it has brass fittings and medium length handle ,possibly a roach style rod ,the rings are useless rusty and grooved ,the whippings threadworn & shabby and you guessed it a short tip section ,but the ferrules are in good order and nice ,the brass handle fittings are good ,pitty it only has a stub but cap rather than a full threaded one and button ,but you cant have everything.fitting .the cork is a little threadworn too being a veneer over a wooden handle :its viable will need rebuild ,as with most vintage rods the medium length handle is a little short for modern anglers likes ,it'll need a new handle just a few inches longer to be comfortable and better balance the rod ,new rings and whippings maybe new tip section.medium amount of work but at least the cane is solid and great colour to it .the old brass fittings will be salvaged
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not everything we come across is salvageable ,sometimes you have too make hard choices ,out of this lot the Spanish reed rod and maybe the glass rod aren't viable ,the Spanish reed rod through damage and the glass rod through economics & just too generic ,there are better examples around of good glass rods ,this is too chunky ,too plain.

The only things that are saving the Avondale is that its a named rod from good maker ,a lesser rod may of been too much work for possible value .but being salvageable it'll be saved .

the odd rod I've already given a light restoration to working condition ,but might get a full rebuild later if I feel it warrants it.

the unknown splitcane rod ,was boarderline but the cane is really nice and no delamination's ,if it was a named rod it'd be worth a full refurb.so it is viable ,any damage too the cane would of killed its chances though .it will get a make over but it'd be uneconomical too totally refurb to original (or better) condition ,so it'll be done on a budget and that'll mean modern rings etc .

in a ideal world we could refurb them all ,but vintage fittings especially rings are getting harder to source ,so some rods get sacrificed for the greater good (stripped for parts) ,others get cheaper stainless steel/chrome finished rings etc as they're more readily available .and unless its a noted or named rod no one will know or tell the difference from a distance ,it just makes economical sense too keep the costs down where possible ,because if you ever come too sell it on if its over done you won't recoup what youth spent and end up with a over price rod .save the vintage bits for more deserving rods that'll benefit from the expense spent on it.its harsh but sensible .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Lea Dweller
Eel

Re: prospective projects ,a bundle of rods

Post by Lea Dweller » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:43 pm

I am always envious of someone that has the skill and patience to bring a rod back to it's former glory. It must give great satisfaction to those of you that do! :Hat:

Keston
Arctic Char

Post by Keston » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:26 pm

It's really interesting to see how you detail everything in your book .

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:25 pm

well it might be some time before I get around too doing them ,and might forget something ,plus it helps if I should come across another rod the same ,it's just keeping track of things .I've got rods that's been awaiting years for inspiration to get them done ,but my ideas for them are logged ,when I do feel the need to do it ,I can re-read the log and then ignore it or follow it .

I keep a note of the tapers ,because I've ambitions to one day make my own rods ,and any tapers I like the action of I can replicate it.like the odd rod ,the taper seem really nice ,i'll test it to see what the actions like .the taper might well be the baseline for a rod of my making ,might not be a direct copy ,it might be a two piece rod or longer version .but the action & taper the same ,well close at least .having a reference points beats doing the maths from starting from scratch or just guessing .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”