Remove a set from any cane rod.

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Fredline
Grayling

Remove a set from any cane rod.

Post by Fredline » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:50 am

I bought this Marco Test 3 piece built cane rod from Ted (Lea Dweller) purely for spares as the bottom section had a 1" set from the logo through to the ferrule. If I threw it away it would have come sailing back, the boomerang effect. Anyone who has one of these rods will know the bottom section is quite a chunky solid piece of kit. I have previously removed sets from cane but only when they have been completely stripped of finish. This was a case of in for a penny, what did I have to lose. I used my wife's old professional hair dryer and a leather glove. Applying the full heat while rotating the section until it is too hot to handle, I used the glove, you have to be brave, and give it some, as they say in the East End of the City. Allow to cool naturally and voila another rod saved from the scrap heap. The results are amazing, no need to strip the rod down just do it to any finish and it only took 5 minutes. The rod is now perfectly straight and the finish has not been effected by the heat.
ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Tench

Re: Remove a set from any cane rod.

Post by Lea Dweller » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Well done John, I cannot remember what the rest of he rod was like, is it all good now?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Fredline
Grayling

Post by Fredline » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi Ted, it is the rod with the spare tip section. The original is short.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Perch

Post by Duckett » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:01 pm

Looks like a lovely job John. I wonder how often the words "give it some" have been combined with "hair dryer", even in the East End of the City!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Cane
Gudgeon

Post by Cane » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:19 am

Brilliant, thanks for the tip. Tried it out yesterday on a rod with several sets in the mid section and it worked well.
P.S had to wait until Mrs Cane popped out for a while as she might have objected. What the eye doesn't see...! :club:
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Tonkin Wand
Ruffe

Post by Tonkin Wand » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:49 am

He who dares wins !! Look forward to road testing it with you at you know where .Tony

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”