barbel rod

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Torridge Cane
Bleak

barbel rod

Post by Torridge Cane » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:15 am

Hello
not sure if this is in the right place
but it is a rod that l have had in my head for a few years ,since barbel fishing with my brother ,
l get accused of hoarding stuff ! l think all fishermen do ,
over the years iv'e accumulated all sorts ,some nice hollow built cane that came from the R.A.E in Farnborough when it closed down in the late 80's
eyes from other rods , bottom ,middle ,top sections ,from various places
so l thought it's time to see if l could put something together ,
l wanted a rod 10-11 'long ,a long handle 32" ,so l could lean into the fish ,my way, l do like to do that , if they are in the weed beds ,the last place we fished was just a giant weed bed , you ended up with 2 or 3 the pounds of weed with every fish !
and it wanted to be powerful
after some time ,cutting , glueing in ferrules , trying to get every thing to line up ,whipping etc ,varnishing l hate .
iv'e finished it ,it was going to be 2 piece , ended up 2 plus handle .ImageImageImageImageImagetop section was from RAE turns out the bits l had were not all hollow ,the bottom was from the middle of a salmon rod , the handle is glass fibre ,bored out with a drill to take the female ferrule,
ferrules came off a 1930s-40s rod
l'm quite pleased with the look of the rod ,apart from the varnishing ,always cock that up , l don't no why ,[ rushing].that's why no close ups, until l get that right , very nice balance with a 300 reel on it,and the action is beautiful ,more luck than anything !!!!
ended up 10 1/2 'long , 30" handle ,gagging to try it out ,just hope it doesn't full apart ! will likely be carp
if l can do it anyone can...... and l had everything, didn't buy a thing ,much to the delight of my darling wife .
hope it inspires someone to have a go , who cares if it goes wrong , ONLY YOU

Torridge Cane
Bleak

Re: barbel rod

Post by Torridge Cane » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:24 am

picture of it set upImageImageshould also make a good river Bass rod
as l do a fair bit of that down here in Devon

Liphook
Grayling

Post by Liphook » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 am

Excellent result TC :Hat: There will be a great sense of satisfaction landing that 1st fish on it be it baas, barbel or carp :Thumb: I particularly like the thread colours. Do you mind telling us what varnish you used?

Reedling
Ferox

Post by Reedling » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:26 am

Very nice indeed looks like it could be a kind of stepped up 500+. That extra bottom section in picture, could you stick a ferrule on it and have a three equal section rod, as well as a two piece with handle?

Torridge Cane
Bleak

Post by Torridge Cane » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 am

that extra handle is the bottom of a salmon rod, that the first section of the rod is from ,
was going to use as a landing net handle ,one day !

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”