Whipping sealants

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Penninelad
Chub

Re: Whipping sealants

Post by Penninelad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:16 am

I now varnish straight onto the undoped thread.I always do a sample whipping on an old broom handle and varnish the whipping so I can see how the colour will look.This is then kept for future reference,with it being marked with the name of the manufacturer that used a particular colour i.e. James & Son.Most of my whipping is done with Sari thread.
Mark Davies

Stathamender
Eel

Post by Stathamender » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Stathamender wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:46 am
Colour sealing does give the finished whipping a true colour and less transparency ....
So you would recommend using coloured sealants of the kind Harry H recommends rather than transparent, and trying to match, as nearly as possible, their colour to that of the thread. I'm not after perfection though just sufficient for purpose.
My problems with using coloured sealants would be a) the difficulty of avoiding bleed onto the rod itself (although I suppose this could be avoided by masking with sellotape) and b) getting a 'painted' look - I'm sure we've all seen rods at car boots or on the Bay where a previous owner has decided to solve whipping problems simply by painting over them.
Iain

'You may say I'm a dreamer but I am not the only one.......'

Wallys-Cast
Sea Trout

Post by Wallys-Cast » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Stathamender wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:25 pm
Stathamender wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:46 am
Colour sealing does give the finished whipping a true colour and less transparency ....
So you would recommend using coloured sealants of the kind Harry H recommends rather than transparent, and trying to match, as nearly as possible, their colour to that of the thread. I'm not after perfection though just sufficient for purpose.
My problems with using coloured sealants would be a) the difficulty of avoiding bleed onto the rod itself (although I suppose this could be avoided by masking with sellotape) and b) getting a 'painted' look - I'm sure we've all seen rods at car boots or on the Bay where a previous owner has decided to solve whipping problems simply by painting over them.
Sorry Iain, I think that has come over wrong. By colour sealing I mean sealing the colour before varnishing not applying a coloured sealer. The Revel paint that Harry is showing is a waterborne type of clear varnish not a colour.

Wal.

Harry H
Eel

Post by Harry H » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Here's a picture of the thread and it finished on the rod with satin yacht varnish which normally not the clearest varnish.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Peter Wilde
Bleak

Post by Peter Wilde » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:53 pm

There is another thread on here comparing sealants ("Thread" - well it would be that wouldn't it? No, stoppit, you are in a hole, Stop Digging!). Ahem.

I did find it a useful comparison. The conclusion was that PVA wood glue worked adequately well; a coat of that, left to dry clear, then the usual finishing coats of clear varnish would preserve the thread colour. It works moderately well, though I'd add my restoring is at a fairly rough and ready level.

Whatever method you decide to try, it must be good advice to do a test piece first if the aim is a high standard of finish.

Reedling
Ferox

Post by Reedling » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

I love all these threads on rod renovations, finishing and the pros and cons of all the products used in the process. I am reminded of a few words inscribed into the dirt on the back of a large dirty white van I followed once... Designed by a genius, built by robots, driven by an idiot. I thought about the finish I end up with myself sometimes :Thumb:

Stathamender
Eel

Post by Stathamender » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:41 am

Peter Wilde wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:53 pm
There is another thread on here comparing sealants ("Thread" - well it would be that wouldn't it? No, stoppit, you are in a hole, Stop Digging!). Ahem.

I did find it a useful comparison. The conclusion was that PVA wood glue worked adequately well; a coat of that, left to dry clear, then the usual finishing coats of clear varnish would preserve the thread colour. It works moderately well, though I'd add my restoring is at a fairly rough and ready level.

Whatever method you decide to try, it must be good advice to do a test piece first if the aim is a high standard of finish.
Indeed, I would be surprised if that was the only one. There are certain discussion points that I think generally aren't worth revisiting (e.g. lift float method) but on a subject such as this it's worth testing the water to see if a different (or any) consensus has emerged with the passage of time, emergence of new products and practical experience.
Iain

'You may say I'm a dreamer but I am not the only one.......'

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”