One piece Cork handle....

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
BoltonBullfinch
Bleak

One piece Cork handle....

Post by BoltonBullfinch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi, can anyone recommend anywhere I can get a one piece Cork to fit to my split cane rod that was originally a forshaws of Liverpool. The handle was very short, un-naturally so, so I have romoved the old handle and want to fit a 24-26 inch handle. I think the rod is a mklV type so was confused as to why the handle was so short.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

BoltonBullfinch
Bleak

Re: One piece Cork handle....

Post by BoltonBullfinch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:25 pm

I have just found a site called guides n blanks. It looks like they will have all I need.

Thanks
BB

Liphook
Crucian Carp

Post by Liphook » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:08 am

Individual shives are best BB. A very simple handle lathe can be put together with some 'V' blocks of wood, a variable speed drill, felt, cable ties and a touch of derring-do! You tube has info. Have a look at David Norwich for the turning process itself, but bear in mind he's turning a relatively complex shape in the form of "Wells" and "Half Wells" fly grips. Note the simple tools of file and abrasive paper (shown on a proper lathe). A straight-edge is your friend for long lengths of parallel cork. It really is not that complicated. H&H/GnB are OK but I have found much better from Portugal via Siesta Tile and a lady called Marcia on fleabay. Drop me a PM if I can help

Olly
Catfish

Post by Olly » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:48 am

Always used the 2 piece ready made sections for carp/barbel rods especially. Even for those which were custom made & sold in my shop years ago. Far simpler for a beginner - and quicker.

You were able to get various internal diameters which did not require reaming or a lathe.

Silfield
Dace

Post by Silfield » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:07 pm

There was a load of them on flea bay a few months ago (literally thousands of shives) that went for relatively little money, I was hoping that it was someone on here that brought them.

BoltonBullfinch
Bleak

Post by BoltonBullfinch » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm

I think I will go with the 5 inch corks from guidesnblanks for ease. Four of these and two 2inch flared ends, plus a black rear end cap and black rubber stopper. If I take my time I should be able to fit everything correctly. What do people recommend as a adhesive for a Cork handle.

OldAngler
Bleak

Post by OldAngler » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Look up my post 'Cork Handel Shaping Device' under Cane Rod Building, and my name, old angler for a simple shaping 'tool.'

My device is crude, but cheap and effective.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”