Grandad's Rod Broken

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Grandad's Rod Broken

Post by MaggotDrowner » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:55 pm

I had a bit of an "Oh Bother Moment" yesterday. I took a my late grandfather's Chapmans Stort out float fishing yesterday. After threading the line through the rings and attaching the float and hook etc I pulled some line from the centrepin. As I did so I put a minute bend in the tip, really slight, and notice the curve was all wrong. On closer inspection I discovered this break.

:Hide: :Hide: :Hide:

I've no idea how this happened. The rod was fine last time I used it. It was put away dry, into the rod bag, and then placed back into the drainpipe in my holdall.

:hairpull: :hairpull: :hairpull:

Before I start trying to fix it, I wondered if any members had any advice on how best to approach attempting a repair???

Currently the plan is to swamp the crack in glue, hold it shut for a day with cable ties and then whip over the area. - That's what I do when repairing delamination. However this is a break, not delaimination. Perhaps sliding something sturdy over the break - some sort of tube - might be better??

:Confused: :Confused: :Confused:

With it being Grandad's I'm rather sentimentally attached to the old piece of stick so I'm going to do my best to repair it. It may never be as good as it was but hopefully good enough to snatch a few tiddlers again.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Silfield
Dace

Re: Grandad's Rod Broken

Post by Silfield » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:14 pm

I had this recently on an Ogden Smith rod that I brought as part of a bundle, it had a similar type of break but mine was towards the butt of the tip section. I glued with semi flexible epoxy, diamond whipped heavily with strong nylon backing line so the glue wouldnt really get into the fibres of the line and clamped the repaired section across the flats with a load of small engineers clamps until hard. The cleaning up was much less of a chore than I had expected! When I get round to restoring it I am going to turn the blank through 180 degrees so that the broken section/face is facing downwards - I dont know if this is the correct thing to do but in my mind if the broken section is under compression there seems to be less chance of it breaking than if it was under tension as the broken end, even though they have been glued, are being forced together as opposed to being pulled apart. I have yet to whip mine but having given it a thorough bend and flex it appears to be a very strong fix with no signs of memory. Good luck.

Walkerburt
Bleak

Post by Walkerburt » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:16 pm

My granddad left me three cane rods, one of which was a near corpse, the other two fair to good - due to the services of a certain Mr.Woolley in Ashbourne, they are in sparkling health..
The Watcher by the Bridge

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:26 pm

The break doesn't look too bad. You have a good overlap to splice. I am sure you'll fix it very well.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Silfield wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:14 pm
I had this recently on an Ogden Smith rod that I brought as part of a bundle, it had a similar type of break but mine was towards the butt of the tip section. I glued with semi flexible epoxy, diamond whipped heavily with strong nylon backing line so the glue wouldnt really get into the fibres of the line and clamped the repaired section across the flats with a load of small engineers clamps until hard. The cleaning up was much less of a chore than I had expected! When I get round to restoring it I am going to turn the blank through 180 degrees so that the broken section/face is facing downwards - I dont know if this is the correct thing to do but in my mind if the broken section is under compression there seems to be less chance of it breaking than if it was under tension as the broken end, even though they have been glued, are being forced together as opposed to being pulled apart. I have yet to whip mine but having given it a thorough bend and flex it appears to be a very strong fix with no signs of memory. Good luck.
That makes a lot of sense. I think I’ll turn the section so the break is on the bottom. Thanks!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Reedling
Ferox

Post by Reedling » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:00 am

As a belt and braces job you could always do some whips over the broken section after glue has set to hold it all in place using one of those threads you see on rods that goes transparent when varnished.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Got it glued and currently waiting for it to cure. I'm going to leave it at least overnight.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:59 pm

as readling says a over whip might be needed ,in this situration I use a silk thread called nanosilk

its a fine but strong thread and will go virtually transparent with epoxy coating ,and that can be gone over with tinted varnish to obscure further

good luck
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:45 pm

Thanks, Chavender. I've already done it in similar red thread to that which was already on it. I think it highlights the rods history and with it being Grandad's it will never be sold! I decided to turn the section 180 degrees so have had to re-whip the entire section. Turning it should mean that under tension the break is pushing together, not apart. A really good recommendation from Silfield. Thanks again for that. It has just had its third and final coat of varnish and is currently spinning in the turner. Give it a few days to harden and it should be solid.

I put a few good bends in it to test it out.

"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 pm

Rod well and truly tested. The repair seems to be holding against the strain of unintended carp and lovely perch. I'm thrilled with the result.

viewtopic.php?f=337&t=30918&p=406293#p406293
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”