Wire whipping preparation?

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Cat
Rudd

Wire whipping preparation?

Post by Cat » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:16 pm

Evening All,
Any tips on preparing wire whippings prior to re-varnishing please? I've a Milwards Spinmaster that needs a little TLC. The intermediate whippings are fine, but the varnish on the ferrule wire is a tad scabby.
Thank you, Cat

Silfield
Rudd

Re: Wire whipping preparation?

Post by Silfield » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:01 pm

I should think that a wire brush with brass bristles will do the job but I don't have any first hand experience. You used to be able to get brushes with fibreglass bristles for cleaning printed circuit boards that would do the job but I haven't seen any for years, failing that scotchbrite?

Olly
Catfish

Post by Olly » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:32 pm

I found in a weird ""Emporium"" lots of small wire brushes with different strengths/thickness wire suitable as gentle suede brushes to rust removers!
However be careful as the wire may not be too thick and could snap!

Tonkin Wand
Silver Bream

Post by Tonkin Wand » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Silfields right, I had some of these. They were sold at model outlets and shows for cleaning brass. They go in what I can only describe as a large propenline pencil it makes the brush retractable so you can verry the brisel length which gives the pen its absative quality. They came with inter -changable heads of brass, fibreglass and steel.They were so useful on so many jobs but all the fibreglass ones are now worn away.Replacement packs of heads were available. Try the internet or model shops. I am confident their use on the copper whippings would work, done gently. Good luck. Tony

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”