Butt rod ring withh small tube attached.

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Liphook
Arctic Char

Re: Butt rod ring withh small tube attached.

Post by Liphook » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 pm

Great to see a carded Pacemaker Wal :Hat: Do you know the age of these devices? If members are making their own I think an open pigtail twist would be the way to go as clasps etc have the potential to trap line an the most inopportune moment. Stainless welding rod would be a good material. I'd also add a movable weight of say solder or lead wire that could be slid up and down the arm to help adjust for tow/flow. Talking of butt indicators does anyone use the clip on monkey climber type that hangs vertically down from the rod? Can anyone name the device I'm thinking about?

Barbelseeker
Grayling

Post by Barbelseeker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Yep, you are right Liphook - pig tail would be better and simpler.

Olly
Pike

Post by Olly » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:12 pm

There are now a multitude of hanging indicators - each having a different name according to the Company that makes them. Mostly bobbins.

I have used hairgrips with a variety of things attached - from pingpong balls - bottle corks - split shot on a cord - leadcore fly line - etc.

The monkey climber was intended to not be disturbed by the weather esp wind and not to be lost on the strike like the silver paper or adapted wine bottle caps. A penny on the spool with a hub cap below was even earlier!

A quick look at a large tackle shop (or eBay) will show the huge numbers of indicators available at a various prices!

The pigtail end ring will be found on this:- https://www.floatsonline.co.uk/butt-ind ... ter-xtreme

Aitch
Sea Trout

Post by Aitch » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:32 pm

I was using a sidewinder only last week... superb bit of kit, I use mine on one of Wal's creations, works a treat
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Reedling
Ferox

Post by Reedling » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:39 pm

I have had plenty of glass Milbro rods over the years with that type of butt ring, not once have they came with the bite indicator. Were the rods supplied with the indicator at point of sale or were they an add on sale for the tackle shops does anyone know?

Wallys-Cast
Barbel

Post by Wallys-Cast » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:25 am

Reedling wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:39 pm
I have had plenty of glass Milbro rods over the years with that type of butt ring, not once have they came with the bite indicator. Were the rods supplied with the indicator at point of sale or were they an add on sale for the tackle shops does anyone know?
I have often wondered that myself. I have never seen one in use or alongside a rod for sale so I think it was an optional extra like a swing tip.
I think the threaded tip ring offered an easier conversion and more options of indicator type and of course the monkey climber was a better butt indicator so it probably just didn't attract enough sales.

Wal.

Olly
Pike

Post by Olly » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:45 pm

The original side winder was about at the same time as the swingtip arrived when I fished the Thames. Most used a donkey top!

We made side winders from a springy section of net curtain wire and a terry clip on the rod plus an end eye from a bracelet or a simple wire U shape. At the same time swingtip type butt indicators were available - again attached by the same type of terry clip.

I still use terry clips for my pike drop offs - plus ping-pong ball and hair grips - attached to the back rod rests with a length of lead core fly line.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”