How many coats ?

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
User avatar
Dipper
Bleak
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:42 am
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: How many coats ?

Post by Dipper » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:16 am

Old Man River wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:51 pm
I use the same as Jeremy, satin water based interior varnish as a thread sealer, I tried pva, model aircraft dope, commercial thread sealer, all were useless , at least for me
OMR, could you please share the actual product you use for sealing? I too have struggled with PVA etc and am about to start finishing another rod, I’d like to avoid any hiccups if possible :doh:

Kind regards,

Dipper
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

User avatar
Old Man River
Chub
Posts: 1006
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:43 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: How many coats ?

Post by Old Man River » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:38 am

Dipper wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:16 am
Old Man River wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:51 pm
I use the same as Jeremy, satin water based interior varnish as a thread sealer, I tried pva, model aircraft dope, commercial thread sealer, all were useless , at least for me
OMR, could you please share the actual product you use for sealing? I too have struggled with PVA etc and am about to start finishing another rod, I’d like to avoid any hiccups if possible :doh:

Kind regards,

Dipper

It is just cheap water based satin interior wood varnish, comes from Wilco, although there are many different brands. When you open the tin it looks like gloopy white paint, but dries quickly, and with a clear finish.

I have ran out myself now, so cant put up a photo of the stuff.

I tried pva , it was a nightmare !

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

User avatar
Dipper
Bleak
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:42 am
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: How many coats ?

Post by Dipper » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:52 am

Old Man River wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:38 am
Dipper wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:16 am
Old Man River wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:51 pm
I use the same as Jeremy, satin water based interior varnish as a thread sealer, I tried pva, model aircraft dope, commercial thread sealer, all were useless , at least for me
OMR, could you please share the actual product you use for sealing? I too have struggled with PVA etc and am about to start finishing another rod, I’d like to avoid any hiccups if possible :doh:

Kind regards,

Dipper

It is just cheap water based satin interior wood varnish, comes from Wilco, although there are many different brands. When you open the tin it looks like gloopy white paint, but dries quickly, and with a clear finish.

I have ran out myself now, so cant put up a photo of the stuff.

I tried pva , it was a nightmare !

OMR
Brilliant, thank you kindly! I’ll pop round to B and Q, they should have something, was it quick drying by design(or label) or just happens to be?

Once again Many thanks :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

User avatar
Old Man River
Chub
Posts: 1006
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:43 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: How many coats ?

Post by Old Man River » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 am

Just happens to be I think . You will only need a small tin, mine must have done about twenty rods , a lot of landing net poles and bank sticks , a few small tackle boxes etc. A tip is to save a couple of small screw top jars from the recycling, wash them out and decant the varnish into them , I always seem to end up with dried varnish all around the lid of the tin, in a small bottle it just needs a quick
wipe around the lid and screw top with a damp cloth to stay clean.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

User avatar
Dipper
Bleak
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:42 am
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: How many coats ?

Post by Dipper » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Old Man River wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 am
Just happens to be I think . You will only need a small tin, mine must have done about twenty rods , a lot of landing net poles and bank sticks , a few small tackle boxes etc. A tip is to save a couple of small screw top jars from the recycling, wash them out and decant the varnish into them , I always seem to end up with dried varnish all around the lid of the tin, in a small bottle it just needs a quick
wipe around the lid and screw top with a damp cloth to stay clean.

OMR
Thanks again OMR, This looks like it should work, as you say white and milky, I think I’ll utilise a couple of 35mm canisters and decant some as you suggest, great tips!

Image

Kind regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Post Reply

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests