Advice on buying a lathe

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
David Fox
Stickleback

Advice on buying a lathe

Post by David Fox »

Sorry if this question has already been asked.

I would like some advice on the most appropriate lathe to buy. In my hunting around, I have come across the Clarke CL300M variable speed metal lathe priced at £694 from Machine Mart.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cl300m- ... yUQAvD_BwE

This looks like it could make a ferrule, for example, and is the right scale for most things metal on a rod or reel. I would also want to (ab)use it for wood turning (making floats, ferrule stops, etc). I want get the most value/use from the investment, obviously :)

Any advice will be most appreciated.

ReelMaker
Crucian Carp

Re: Advice on buying a lathe

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening,I been thinking about a small lathe to make some mini centre pins 3” dia aerial design from recycled material ,old pistons and some new bar stock,I reckon the small lathe in question would suit fine,but you would need a strong bench or a metal base to support the machine,I’ve always used high precision machines during my working life including doing an apprenticeship at a company making the Britan capstan lathe which were popular in the 60-70 yrs until the cnc took over.Buying from machine mart are a good supplier so you should be safe with them.Reelmaker.

David Fox
Stickleback

Post by David Fox »

Thanks very much for your advice, ReelMaker - just the expertise I was hoping to find :) I am at the opposite end of the curve: absolutely no experience at all! I was planning to use the lathe in my attic, but getting the 40 kilos of it up there may be a challenge!

Think I may have found my Xmas present . . .

ReelMaker
Crucian Carp

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening I’ve found another little lathe that might suit called the Warco mini lathe check their website .Reelmaker

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

These Chinese (Seiga) mini lathes are all pretty good and can do some pretty useful work. You might look at the Axminster catalogue, their 300 model is slightly cheaper but I would recommend you go for the slightly more expensive SC" mini lathe as it has a brushless 500w motor, which delivers full power right from the lowest speeds.
I have just bought one, and yes it handles wood very well.

JW

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”