Splitting cane again: Garrison 209 3pc nodeless

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Bobby Marlene
Brown Trout

Splitting cane again: Garrison 209 3pc nodeless

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I have just finished my PHY Perfectionist but in the back of my shop I was busy with a nodeless rod already some time. So here some pictures and details:

First I cut out the nodes hence the name nodeless. I used a japanese saw and I am very happy with the result. If you are a woodworker it is worth a try, these are pretty cheap so it will not break your bank.
The next step is heat treatment. In this case it is very easy just use your kitchen oven.
ImageImage
Now splitting. It is a real pleasure compated to splitting a half culm. Just put the pieces upright on a board and split to the desired width. I use masking tape to transer the width. But be careful. It’s important to get uniform strips for later glueing.
ImageImageImage
Mark the strips with a color code so you can later glue in the correct order.
Next you have to set out a strategy for glueing. Check the loss due to scarfing. It depends on the angle du f the scarfing block. Then you can decide how many strips you need for each rod section. It’s a good idea to lay out the strips on the work bench, it’s easy to get lost.
Then scarfing.
Next step is to glue the pieces together. There are several techniques. I used clamps. Do a dry fit and pencil mark. I used Titebond II.
Then it’s a good idea the clean up the joints with a plane. And from then on it’s the same as with any other build. It is now when planing that you feel the difference to a traditional build. What a pleasure planing can be.
Thanks for looking, Chris

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Splitting cane again: Garrison 209 3pc nodeless

Post by Nigel Rainton »

When I read of your plans to do a nodeless build, I assumed that you would have shorter lengths of cane which would need to be spliced together. Does this produce a weaker strip than just planing or hot pressing the nodes?

What is the advantage of a nodeless rod? Is it just aesthetic?

Paul F
Rainbow Trout

Post by Paul F »

I am intrigued by this project Chris, keep the post coming, i am looking forward to seeing the finished rod :Thumb:

PeteD
Roach

Post by PeteD »

Fascinating! I always love to see the stages of a rod being built.

Probably best not to have too many of those Westmalle beers at 9.5% ABV when working with that Japanese saw, chisel, etc. Chris. :cheers:

Mind you if you do chop a finger off at least you won't feel it after a few of those. :Wink:

Bobby Marlene
Brown Trout

Post by Bobby Marlene »

PeteD wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:45 pm Fascinating! I always love to see the stages of a rod being built.

Probably best not to have too many of those Westmalle beers at 9.5% ABV when working with that Japanese saw, chisel, etc. Chris. :cheers:

Mind you if you do chop a finger off at least you won't feel it after a few of those. :Wink:
Pete, I live in Belgium for more than 20 years now. I almost got used to the Trappist...
But you are right it can be dangerous for the uninitiated. :cheers:

Bobby Marlene
Brown Trout

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Paul F wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:54 pm I am intrigued by this project Chris, keep the post coming, i am looking forward to seeing the finished rod :Thumb:
Thanks Paul, you know how much it means to me. Stay safe my friend.

Bobby Marlene
Brown Trout

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:18 pm When I read of your plans to do a nodeless build, I assumed that you would have shorter lengths of cane which would need to be spliced together. Does this produce a weaker strip than just planing or hot pressing the nodes?

What is the advantage of a nodeless rod? Is it just aesthetic?
Nigel, for me it is just a project to see if I can do it and to learn a few new skills. I got interested because some of the best rod makers of all times like for example Bernard Ramanauskas with Eden Rods made nodeless rods.
The advantages are (I just tell you what I read in articles, books):
- more effecient use of the bamboo culm. Especially if the culm has blemishes or is damaged. Personally I get also more usable strips out of a culm
- easy one piece rod making if desired
- ease of splitting
- no special heat treating oven required. Just use your kitchen oven
- ease of planing (this is really unbelievably easy compared to regular strips)
- some makers say it‘s faster but for me that is not important
I believe the strips are as strong or stronger than regular strips but it all depends on glue and glueing technique. That may be the reason that it is a relatively modern way to make rods.
Best, Chris

Bobby Marlene
Brown Trout

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Now that I have planed a few strips of the butt section to final dimension I can tell another big advantage is that the plane blade stays sharp much longer. Saves me from many sharpenibg sessions and makes for an easier cut...

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

All convincing points, the finished rod will look unblemished, a work of art :-)

Northern_Nomad
Brown Trout

Post by Northern_Nomad »

This looks like a fascinating project :Thumb:

I look forward to seeing all the details of the build unfold :Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”