Members gallery of cane rods restored or built by you

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Paul F
Tench

Re: Members gallery of cane rods restored or built by you

Post by Paul F » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Good job Richard, it will feel so special when you catch your first fish on it

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks guys,hopefully will use it next sunday if everything goes to plan lol
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Harry H
Arctic Char

Post by Harry H » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Milwards Broxbourne found at a local car boot,needed a replacement tip from the spares tube,a split in the middle section repairing as well as the ferrule resticking. It was painted but I'm not sure this was original as it went over the original red whipping which have been re done with red/black jasper.

A replacement ferrule made with the aid of an electric drill and sandpaper.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Paul D
Ferox

Post by Paul D » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:06 pm

You've made a nice job of that, another one saved :Hat:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Good job H, good luck christening it.

AshbyCut
Honorary Vice President

Post by AshbyCut » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:29 pm

Nice work H, Sir !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

http://www.AshbyCut.com

Alchemist
Stickleback

Post by Alchemist » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:22 pm

I picked up this old wreck for £7.50. (Wish I could add bigger photos, but it won't let me). This has proved to be my biggest refurbishment challenge yet.

No name, almost 11ft. It screams Marco, (Test or Medway), but the handle was only 19" and I thought they had longer handles?
The original whippings were at the female ferrules and the intermediate tyings, in a very dark wine. On removal, under the old varnish, they were actually garnet! The rings had been badly re-whipped in what appeared to be a black and white jasper, plus some additional and pointless decorative whippings above the handle. When these were removed, the jasper thread was actually blue and white. It must have looked ghastly! Up to this point I had no idea what the rings were originally whipped in... until I removed the bulky whippings at the tip ring and lo and behold, underneath was an original long whipping in the same garnet.
The tip section had some delamination at each end. This was opened up with pins, re-glued and bound until set.
The handle had chunks missing, so it needed to be replaced. I had to make a decision here to copy the old style handle, with the reel lower down, or fit a more "modern" usable handle. I wanted to use it, so I went for a 23" onion handle. I kept the butt cap after a polish on the lathe with wet and dry followed by Colgate toothpaste. All rings were replaced, except for the agate tip ring and whipped in garnet, of course. New ferrules - I couldn't get the right size in brass, so settled for the G&B chromes. When I find a brass set, I can replace them.

I caught on it first trip out. I was trotting on the Kennet with another rod and along came a chap, armed with a fine cane rod plus an aerial roller-back. He was called Will who is a member of this forum. Whilst chatting, I hooked a 4lb chub, that he netted for me - thanks Will. After he'd gone, I put up this "new" rod and legered a lump of meat. The rod hooped round and I landed a 4lb chub... the same chub! - with two chunks missing out of its tail. The rod felt great - very "Adonis-like", but slightly stiffer in the tip. I hope to find out how it copes with a barbel.
"Leave only footprints"

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:21 am

Looks great. Now a Marco Test with a longer handle sounds awesome and must be much better balanced. Hope you catch a big barbel on it.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Here are a few pictures of an WA Allcocks Adonis that I've just finished. The rod came with a tip that was about 3inches short, but I happened to notice that the tip from my Sealey Supreme was an exact fit. When I tried it I found that it transformed the action of the Adonis, giving it a nice sensitive tip without compromising the power lower down. Luckily I had another of these "twin taper" tips (they are fitted to later "Match" rods as well). A little trimming and a new male ferrule and off to work we went!

I'll report back on how the rod fares as a chub rod over the Winter. Who knows it might be the rod to change Bumble's opinion on the Adonis!

I'll keep an eye open for an appropriate tip with the correct taper and I'll have an unusual twin tipped Adonis!
Quot homines, tot sententiae. (And now we are 6!)

Tengisgol
Tench

Post by Tengisgol » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:22 pm

Does anyone else own a Trossachs rod? I can't even recall where I found this one but I did replace all the eyes and put a new ferrule on it. Its seven feet and a lovely little spinning rod, put to good use last week for some pesky pike!

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”