Members gallery of cane rods restored or built by you

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Pallenpool
Grayling

Re: Members gallery of cane rods restored or built by you

Post by Pallenpool » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:35 am

Old Man River wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:19 am
Here you go Peter, the whippings are quite transclucent ..

I managed to straighten the "set" in the tip, hopefully it will perform as well as it did when you trusted me with it for the rebuild.
I received the rod yesterday - and have to say I am overjoyed with the result. David’s endeavour and craftsmanship are second to none. I would like to take this opportunity to thank him again for restoring my favourite MKIV Avon so very finely indeed.
:Hat:

Imageh

Old Man River
Perch

Post by Old Man River » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Thank you Peter

:Hat:

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:36 am

With thanks to a number of forum members

I have had this rod in my keeping for a considerable time. It originally belonged to my dad. It came from a local maker in Uxbridge, who operated out of his bungalow. I have no memory at all of it being a complete usable rod, even in the 1960s the tip was smashed beyond repair. Thanks to Penninelad I now have a suitable tip section

The rod itself has a whole cane butt, with a 20" handle. The middle section is whole cane with a splice. The tip now, is split cane, giving an overall lenght of 11'9. I've stripped the rod and blued the female ferrules. The male ferrule for the tip (I kept it, despite the damage) actually had a split in it. I've repaired this but it meant lapping it (I hate lapping ferrules). Still, it is now a nice tight fit.

Some of the solder on the agate tip needed repair. The butt ring, needed replacing so I opted for a new Seymo one. Most but not all of the high bells were ok. Interesting point. Filing the feet to the profile I wanted showed that the original rings were far harder than the modern replacements.

Thanks to Harry H I have some nice green Gudebrod for the whipping. No inters is always a blessing.

I have to thank Ljm183 for his very useful posts viewtopic.php?f=198&t=10158&hilit=ring+spacing&start=60 very helpful for tip spacing

I didn't have any ferrule stoppers. I don't know if the rod even came with them as new. I had a couple of small ones, previously turned using my electric drill. One of these was used for the middle section. However, I didn't have anything large enough for the butt section. I hand carved one from a piece of square section beech. Hard on the fingers with a knife and sandpaper. Although I'm happy with the results.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Harry H
Eel

Post by Harry H » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:33 pm

Well done MG lovely job :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AllRounder
Perch

Post by AllRounder » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:30 pm

First Rod Restoration

I should have been trying out a new mini lathe - a Christmas present from my son - but as is the way with these things it arrived via the post looking like it had gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson.
Desperate for something to do I pulled an old and battered cane fly rod from the side of the wardrobe. This had been given me by a non angler a couple of years ago and had been kept in the corner of his garage. It was in a sorry old state with the ferrules and snake rings covered in verdigris. There didn’t appear to be a brand name and since I’d got nothing to lose I had a go at my first restoration.

The rings were past saving as were the reel fittings fortunately I’d got some low bells and parts from an old Hardy fly rod
It wasn’t until I cleaned up the butt cap that I discovered the H Sowerbutts & Son England makers name. :Thumb:

The finished rod is not very straight as you can see from the photos having a whole cane butt and middle and I think a greenheart or possibly lancewood tip it’s probably destined for display rather than days at the waters edge.
I don’t seem to be able to find any information about the potential age of the rod
Perhaps someone can offer information or advice?

Wallys-Cast
Zander

Post by Wallys-Cast » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 pm

A similar rod is listed in the Sowerbutts 1938 catalogue.
It is listed under "Roach Rods" (for boys) with a sub heading "Special Value". The rod comes in various states of finish but nearest to your description is, Three piece Cane Rod. Lancewood Top, Snake Rings, Cork Grip, Winch Fitted. In Bag. Length 12ft. Price at the time was 17/6.

Wal.

AllRounder
Perch

Post by AllRounder » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:18 pm

Many thanks Wal. That’s thrown me although mine is 10ft 6 ins.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”