dip tubes

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Tonkin

Re: dip tubes

Post by Tonkin » Sun May 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Ron Clay wrote:
tonkin wrote:Hi there ! Im a new boy on here ! Many years ago I ran the finishing Dept at the now defunct Pegley Davies LTd tackle firm ! dipping was my main way of varnishing rods! I did them by the doz at one time! It was done with a tank let into the floor and with a hydraulic machine which allowed a variable rate of withdrawal . also the viscosity of th evarnish had to be controlled ! But! I doubt doing rods one off is that much of a saving ! Try getting a cheap spray out fit ! Its what I use now ! bit of practice needed ! I also worked for the late Bob Kirk of Hampton Court before he went bust ! Bob was a great rod builder ! He sadly died on th e 29 th March this year in Norfolk ! Im now retired and have just started again where I left off 40 years ago ! making cane rods ! as a hobby !
You would have known Tag Barnes then?
I only met him a couple of times when he came into my shop to talk about whipping colours Ron! He was at the time a Pegleys rep I think ! regards tonkin

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John » Mon May 14, 2012 12:03 am

Here my new fly rod with probably it's last coat of varnish just applied. Just gotta fit the handle, reel seat...ahhhhhhh can't wait! Leaving it for a week and a half is so hard to do! Image
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Vole
Tench

Post by Vole » Sat May 26, 2012 7:05 am

Wow, invisibility cloak varnish!?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John » Sat May 26, 2012 7:14 am

It's a new thing-sod real tree!.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

PaulJohno

Post by PaulJohno » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Late in and waiting for England to start playing, so here goes.

May be on here earlier sort of how I do it, is:

I built a plywood box 6' - 9" - 9" firstly to use as a drying cabinate, using a light bulb as heat source.
Did not use this much in this form, it was during my stressed about moisture re entry phase.

Found it made the for me perfect rod varnishing, drying box.

This now lives in my shed and away from the dust of the garage rod building area.
It has of course been placed on two shelf brackets, with the opening lid opening away from me.
I mounted a strip light on the underside of the lid and this acts as light to see what I am doing and a source of heat to dry the varnish.
I bought a cheap from Yanks Ebay rod turning motor with a chuck about £15 including postage, then mounted two overlapping wheels on a board that fits across the bottom of the box as runners for the butt cork or tip ferrule depending on what I am varnishing.

I give the whippings 3 coats of good old spar varnish, trick here is to decant it into several small clean containers as soon as the tin is opened. I use one 'new' lot for every rod I build, half litre tin is good for several rods.

I let each coat dry for between 12 and 24 hours depending on the ambiant air temp.
Using the box lets me steady and rest my hand on lip when doing whippings, ferrules etc.
Once they are done I give the whole rod 2 or 3 all over coats depending on what depth of varnish I want.
I give the blank a coat of Tung oil once it has been sanded so there is some 'varnish' there before start.

Before each rod I give the box a good hoover out to get rid of any dust, as the lid seals well and is only open for the time it takes to get a coat on and then closed, I don't stress about dust getting in.
Same goes for the shed door that is closed during varnishing and only opened for brief moments when a rod is being varnished.
I have varnished when the air temp has been below -10c and had no problems just had to wait a bit longer between coats.
I struggled for some reason this winter, my main rod building time to get the varnish to dry using the strip light + light bulb as a heat source. My solution was to line the box with alli bubble wrap insulation, this give not only a better air tight seal and with the strip light alone an internal temp of + 20 when it was -10 outside.

With practice the all over varnishing is a doddle to, fill the brush up and don't be frightened and work it along the blank and over the whipping etc. The light from the strip light lets me see any missing areas, better than a bright bulb does, I have tried brighter lights and dull is better for seeing what is going on.
I have tried using thinned coats and now just use two coats of 'new' varnish for the final finishing.
I just leave the turner running all the time and I am more than happy as have been the people I have built for at the results.

I have considered building a dip tube rig, as I have a pit in my garage I could just about get 10' of space need, however like several earlier post I don't like the dipped rod look or finish.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”