Splicing

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Macko
Grayling

Splicing

Post by Macko » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:32 pm

Reading one of Mr Yates books, he breaks the tip of his Avon, and says he'll have to splice the tip.
How do you splice a tip in and is it strong enough afterwards.

ATB Macko

Chavender
Arctic Char

Re: Splicing

Post by Chavender » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:04 pm

splicing is cutting the affected area diagonally across the rod at 4-6° Angle then doing the same too the tip and then gluing them together and clamping them .then you over whip the join with white silk thread in a continues whip then using epoxy seal it the silk thread will go transparent in the epoxy .leave too set.

its a repair and will be sufficient but it'll never be as strong as a new section would be .as a tempery measure even last for extended periods (one of mine still going strong) ,but you'll always know its a patch up and confidence won't be with it ,not like you get with a new section .

I've done a few and find it works better with thinner sections where the load is carried further down I'm not so inclined .

after all all splitcane rods are just strips of wood glued together ,a splice is no different but the angle has too be right or it'll fail under load.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:14 pm

when I find the time i'll finish a pictorial guide I started & post in the appropriate section

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:34 pm

I had visions of maybe splitting the cane down an inch or so and cutting 3 alternate pieces maybe half inch long on the broken
section and the piece to splice, so as they interlock, then overwhipping, if you know what i mean.

ATB Macko

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 pm

you could do that and the same on the other piece you would need too angle the ends of the strips to create a mini splice where they over lap a little .again like the single splice the angle needs too be 3-4° ,but only a few mm long .they use this method too create rods from short strips of different colours creating a parkay pattern

the overlap helps spread load

what you have to avoid if two edges butting up too each other ][ as it'll create a sheer point and break easily ,plus the splice must be 90° to the spine / arc of the blank ,or again it'll create a sheer point

In the uk its simply a splice or graft in the us its called scarf joint or scarfing and they even have special planning blocks to get the angle cut right

Benj1dog
Stickleback

Post by Benj1dog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 am

Hi i have seen mention of using white silk whipping thread and epoxy to protect and strengthen splices an damaged cane. Can anyone advise where i can buy some please preferably in the uk.

Reedling
Sea Trout

Post by Reedling » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:05 am

Seeing this post on splicing reminded me of a very old rod I had which had joints that you used to have to whip together rather than the usual ferrules. I found this on the net which is like my rod, but mine was greenheart if I remember correctly...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi2YTnggKAs

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Benj1dog wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 am
Hi i have seen mention of using white silk whipping thread and epoxy to protect and strengthen splices an damaged cane. Can anyone advise where i can buy some please preferably in the uk.

I use nano silk thread ,Nano-Silk-Ultra-Fine-30D-18/0 ,not a bad price either (the blacks nice too for inters etc)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fly-Tying-Se ... ICD2ys2dWQ

I don't have a particular epoxy varnish that I use ,depending on the varnish used you may need too thin it down so it penetrates better (with acetone [nail varnish remover] ,or denatured alcohol) i'd try a test first as mixing finishes between epoxy and pre existing varnishes may bring unforeseen results ,they don't all play well together . superglue would work but it has too be applied carefully or it'll whiten ! .

not sure (not tried it) but Sally Hansen Hard as Nails ,clear maybe epoxy based ,plus there's a Sally Hansen Hard as Nails thinner/remover to go with it ,these have many uses so might be worth trying .

Benj1dog
Stickleback

Post by Benj1dog » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”