Removing a set.

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Crucian
Arctic Char

Removing a set.

Post by Crucian » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:15 pm

I am presently restoring a rather nice 'Ledgerstrike' which had a fairly long gradual set it the last 30" of the tip, it wasn't a bad set, but noticeable enough to require straightening and probably the result of having stood in a corner over time.

I find these long, gradual sets more difficult to straighten than the kinks usually caused by the bag ties being overtightened. It's hard to heat a long enough section of cane.

The photo's explain all really, but note the mark on the chair that is used as a target, as soon as the cane is warm enough, you will notice the cane dropping down under the weight of the 1/2 oz lead weight suspended from the end. The heat gun needs to be kept moving all the time, heating all sides of the cane. Leave until the cane has cooled completely. Care needs to be taken, obviously, but it's very controllable and only took around ten minutes to straighten this tip. ImageImage

Stour Otter
Perch

Re: Removing a set.

Post by Stour Otter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Nice job Crucian. Have just finished a Edgar Sealey "Strikerite" myself with a similar set.

Regards
Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Tonytoned
Crucian Carp

Post by Tonytoned » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Very interesting read Crucian, it will be nice to see the rod when its restored. I absolutely love your room too, fireplace, chair and desk.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 am

I once watched John Chapman remove a long gentle set and I think it took him five seconds...blink and you missed it! John used one of those large circular cast iron gas rings one used to see on building sites to brew a gallon of tea. With the flame circle having a diameter of over a foot he just wafted the entire cane section over the flames, twiddling it slowly as he went. A quick eye down it to find the high point, swift bend of the tip and ferrule ends downwards, hold for 5 seconds ...job done. It was now arrow straight...in one go.

I guess you can't buy that sort of experience, but a big gas ring might go some way to getting it......

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... FPU8iA.jpg

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am

I too have had that interesting experience, although his bro' was doing the
business with the same elegant ease.
I seem to recall John admitting to having tweeked the jetting to get a more
yellow flame with more moisture content within the heat given off.
Good blokes both, I used to take home made welsh cakes along with me
because there was always an offer of tea along with the, usual for me,
purchase of a new tip replacement.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 am

That might be true, QC, when you burn hydrocarbons you create water...just look at a cold car's exhaust in Winter. Now if you reduce the heat by reducing the oxygen coming in through the mixer you just might keep that flame wetter than if it were at full heat. Though I'm not quite sure why you'd want a wet flame...it's all over my head.....

JAA

Post by JAA » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 pm

As you can set cane rods with steam (I used to straighten bamboo sections for arrows the same way, steam the node and tweak it) which is shade over 100C so I suspect the use of the yellow flame was just for the lower temperature over a wider area, compared with 'blue'.

Lower temperatures give you more margin for error I'd have thought.

Old Man River
Perch

Post by Old Man River » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:08 pm

I have just straightened an old split cane boat rod, it had a definite set to the "right" when looked at with the rings downward, as it was free I was not too concerned if the straightening went wrong.
I used a hot air paint stripper, warmed the cane up and simply fastened the straight section in the vice, and gently bent out the set, well, I say gently, it took a fair bit of strength to completeley remove the set.I could not believe the strength of the split cane,even when well warmed up it was extremely strong, it did straighten, but took some doing.
In fact the experiment renewed my faith in the strength of split cane,natures C***** F****

The rod is now rebuilt, and I am in the process of making a large wooden centrepin to match it.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Crucian
Arctic Char

Post by Crucian » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Well done OMR, and you're right, it is strong stuff...much stronger in fact than most of us realise.

Some photo's of your reel would be nice please.

Old Man River
Perch

Post by Old Man River » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:41 pm

I am afraid , Crucian, that it would be no match for the artisan reels on this website, it will be strictly functional, not pretty, maybe even a little agricultural, I have no lathe, it will eventually be a " near enough" as opposed to " spot on " reel, made from odds and ends lounging around in my workshop, made to equal the old sea centrepins we sometimes see gathering dust in the corners of junk shops,probably made from nuts, bolts, bits of bed frame, recycled floorboards, etc. Oh, but with several coats of yacht varnish of course !

So long as it works .

OMR.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”