Removing a set.

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Crucian
Arctic Char

Re: Removing a set.

Post by Crucian » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Brilliant, good for you :Thumb:

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 pm

never try to remove a set on a hollow built bit of cane as it will blow, i learnt the hard way, never again

Crucian
Arctic Char

Post by Crucian » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:46 am

Chubman wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 pm
never try to remove a set on a hollow built bit of cane as it will blow, i learnt the hard way, never again
I agree, it can get a bit exciting :Chuckle: but it's not impossible...An open, spiral whipping in stout whipping thread over the full length of the set, before heating will help. But, as you rightly say, it's not easy.

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:35 am

Crucian wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:15 pm
I am presently restoring a rather nice 'Ledgerstrike' which had a fairly long gradual set it the last 30" of the tip, it wasn't a bad set, but noticeable enough to require straightening and probably the result of having stood in a corner over time.

I find these long, gradual sets more difficult to straighten than the kinks usually caused by the bag ties being overtightened. It's hard to heat a long enough section of cane.

The photo's explain all really, but note the mark on the chair that is used as a target, as soon as the cane is warm enough, you will notice the cane dropping down under the weight of the 1/2 oz lead weight suspended from the end. The heat gun needs to be kept moving all the time, heating all sides of the cane. Leave until the cane has cooled completely. Care needs to be taken, obviously, but it's very controllable and only took around ten minutes to straighten this tip. ImageImage
Very clever! I like the idea of the target Mark on the chair. Is the target Mark a reference to "dead straight" or a little below to allow for some spring back?

Crucian
Arctic Char

Post by Crucian » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:32 am

It's just there as a reference. As the cane becomes warm enough, the tip will move downwards under the weight suspended from it and this can easily be seen. Remove the heat source, I use an electric heat gun, and allow to cool. Repeat as necessary, depending on the severity of the set. It's much simpler than it sounds, and very controllable. A kink, usually caused by bag ties being overtightened is much easier to remove with a little heat and the fingers. I have found long sweeping sets, usually caused by bad storage, rods left leaning in a corner etc., quite difficult to remove without introducing a series of small kinks which are noticeable when sighting down the length of the rod. It's quite easy to remove most sets, and a little practice on old/broken sections, will give you confidence too. I wish you luck with your endeavours, it's very satisfying.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”