Edgar Sealey Nu Cane rod refurb

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Dusty
Stickleback

Edgar Sealey Nu Cane rod refurb

Post by Dusty » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi everyone, firstly I`d like to thank you all for making me welcome on this forum.
I`ve been away for a week in Norfolk ( shore fishing ) so my project on my recently acquired Edgar Sealey rod go put on the back burner , but I did order a replacement ferrule and counter from Anglers Supplies ( Cardiff) before I left, this week I spent a reasonably pleasant afternoon with a tin of Brasso , some silver polish ( not as abrasive as Brasso ) and some Jewellers rouge , removed the tarnish from the new ferrule , and spent what seemed like an age lapping the male counter into the ferrule, a delivery arrived today from H & H ( new line guides, and a reel of whipping thread-as near to the colour of the original as possible ) it is my intention to do a `sympathetic ` rebuild of this rod , as you can see from the photos , the company logo is in pretty good condition as are the corks , the tip eye has no corrosion so just needs a good clean and re whipping to rod , the tip section had a slight cast ,so after reading several articles on the forum , I felt confident enough to go ahead and attempt straightening it , using a night light candle and being patient paid off - one straight tip section, looking at the mid section , I think it isnt as straight as it could be , now I`m unsure whether to attempt trying to straighten this as its considerably thicker than the tip and the problem appears to be near ( 120mm) from the ferrule ( butt end ) near what is a node.Would it be prudent to rebuild this section with the line guides positioned on a different side and having the bend ( droop ) facing down ? or should I attempt to heat and carefully manipulate it back to being straight ?
Its looking like a busy weekend filing line guide feet to allow the whipping thread to climb with out leaving ridges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Time spent watching the tip of a float is time spent learning ...

Wallys-Cast
Zander

Re: Edgar Sealey Nu Cane rod refurb

Post by Wallys-Cast » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:20 pm

I don't think you will get enough heat into the mid section from a candle without burning or at least scorching it. I prefer to use a hot air gun passed from side to side over the area while the section is kept turning until it's hot enough to straighten. You can use a gas flame but you will need to be careful not to get too close or it will certainly get burned.

Other than that it sounds like you are going to make a good job of this Dusty so keep us informed how it's going.

Wal.

Dusty
Stickleback

Post by Dusty » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:58 pm

With my partner away for 10 days visiting her family , I`ve had time to get on with my rod refurb , and while waiting for varnish to dry , had a little time to make a few floats to use when the rod is completed, I re blued the ferrules and have started on the whipping
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wallys-Cast
Zander

Post by Wallys-Cast » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Looking very good. A nice assortment of floats there too.

Wal.

Dusty
Stickleback

Post by Dusty » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Whilst Mirka was away I managed to get my rod finished , after leaving it for a week for the varnish to fully set , I even got out and christened it..

Reedling
Sea Trout

Post by Reedling » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Very nice indeed and can I ask, what is that reel please?

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:02 pm

nicely done
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

LuckyLuca
Sea Trout

Post by LuckyLuca » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Looks like you've done a cracking job on that rod Dusty. Well done!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Jeremy Croxall
Brown Trout

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Yes, a nice job, well done and I would think the first of many?

Wallys-Cast
Zander

Post by Wallys-Cast » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Well done Dusty, a perfect result.. :Hat:

Wal.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”