And for my next trick....a wizardly rod

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Chavender
Arctic Char

Re: And for my next trick....a wizardly rod

Post by Chavender » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Before I got fixated on ferrules ,I was a little browned off .Or rather the butt section wasn't after clearing it and buffing the shine veneer back .Next too the new top sections it pales in comparison literally .

So for a couple of evenings I've been adding some colour by way of tinted varnishes .and rather than brush it on I decided to dub it on using paper towel

a bit of mix & match to get the right shade (tried it out on scrap piece first) then its a case of layering on the coats to bring the hue up to match the two top sections as best I could.

first coat is a lighter gloss mahogany tint

a rub down with the scotchbrite and the second coat went on

another rub down and a coat of darker mahogany tinted varnish

then another round of rub & dub with conker colour tint for a change for the final coat

the butts a nice match now ,soon be time to complete the handle and lay down some rings.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm

well my corks have arrived .but i'm not going too glue them in place just yet .as I've had a mishap with another rod where the chuck on my rod turner didn't grip the tapered buttcap proper and it slipped and stop spinning the rod and the varnish pooled into gloops so i'm not taking chances this time.

I am going too prepare them ready so when the rings are whipped on then i'll fit the corks ,first job is too sort out the tapered top end I could of brought a extra sleeve and tapered it ,but it wouldn't be right ,as they tend too bulge before they taper away .like this

so I had a old full wells fly grip and cut one of the flared ends off ,if I cut it right it'll give the right taper and be slightly wider than the cork sleeves and should give that slight bulge (it prevents the bands coming over the top ) needed .i'm going too turn one off the sleeves too take the but cap

only thing I had too do too the cane was fit a plug in the end as it had been hollowed out when first made ,one of the reasons I chose this cane was its lightness

I made a mandrill from a old off cut of cane so I could mount it in my lathe (or could of used a drill) and turned the end of the front piece using the bronzed coller as a guide to get it a snug fit and too set the final taper .then I did the same with one of the sleeves so the butt cap fitted just right without any step or dip where it met the cork

the front piece I glued into position on the rod knowing i'd later fit the other pieces when the whipping was done .

this however left me with a problem the rear of this appendage had rounded end and the sleave that would but up too it was strait cut ,this rounded end was too give me the bulge before it tapered away too the coller .(theres probably a much easier solution too doing this ,but hey wheres the fun in that) so I needed a solution .now I have a number of grinding reels that can be fitted into a drill or in this case my lathe's chuck .one of which was a ball shaped one .I used this too grind a concave end too one of the cork sleeves .

it got a little scorched on the inside ,but no-ones going too see that .a test fit showed it was a great fit butted up too the rounded end of the front cone .

I've a nice new red rubber button that looks just great

I put the reel bands on the crimped hooded one is a lovely tight fit & perfect for the job

all the cork sections are ready for gluing later into the build .my next little job is too remove the old rings off the top two sections ,I intend too leave some of the old whippings in place and cut them leaving the loose turns in place and i'll whip over the straggly ends when I whip on the replacement rings .

the old rings was fugi glow rings with hardlon centres ,that just wouldn't do for this retro looking Wizversa rod of mine .the rings frames will be going too a big hole in the ground or melted down and used too make skoda's ,by shear coincidence the liners are the same type I used before too make vintage lined rings ,I guess another set will be in the making before the next season starts.

these rather Fugley looking rings will make way for a set of nice shiny stand off's and agate lined but and tip rings .

Soon be whipping time.....

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 pm

It's beginning to look a lot like.....a classic!

TrentFisher
Rudd

Post by TrentFisher » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Really enjoying your project evolve .Full of tips and information.

Many thanks
Nige.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Now the Fun begins ,its whipping time .I laid down a bit od a spiral whipping along the indent I made for the collar and let it exceed past it a little ,then glued the collar in place ,next I replicated the whippings on the top two sections.

I also whipped the butt sections new ferrule too match

after letting them dry overnight it was time to start fitting the rings i'd selected .9 in total descending in sizes

First too go on would be the tip ring ,now when inspecting the tip section there was a slight droopy set ,I could of heated up and bent strait again but as the section had varnish on it ,I didn't want too risk damaging this or the tip by over doing it ,and as its just a slight droop i'd chosen too just mount the new rings on the opposite edge so gravity and the fishes can bring it true.

it had the spiral wrap left in place and I ran tight turns down the rings foot and over the end of the spiral wraps (too pin them down) seamlessly recreating the original whippings ,the tip ring is a float style one (no threaded tube) a quick coat of varnish too seal it .

While that was drying I whipped on the butt ring ,I did consider giving its bottom foot a copper wire over whip for strength ,but for now its just getting the same pattern as the others ,but I can always do a over whip later if needs be.

it too got a coating of high build varnish .

I'm adding a hook keeper next a ring style keeper,checking out the placement and look

whipped it in the same style

Left these too dry and two rings down + keeper only 7 more too go

looked at the old ring placements to size / line up where the new rings would fit ,as these vintage rings have a longer footprint so getting the symmetrical within the old whippings would be vital .

there was shade / lighter patches where the old rings foots used too sit ,so I removed any left over bits of old varnish ,so got out the magic markers and a quick swipe brought the colour back to match.

soon had a ring whipped into place and blended into the existing layout nice and square

soon had the others in place and a coat of varnish over the whippings ,I've still too whip half a dozen inters on the butt section to tie it in with the other two sections ,there inters are faded but sound so i'll touch them up with black paint/marker before giving the whole rod a final top coat .

while the varnish dries on the rings whippings on the top two sections ,i'll look at finishing off the handle next.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:11 pm

So its time too get a grip and do the handle ,i'd chosen 5" strait sleeves from G&B match rod set ,and built two shaped ends ,when I dry fitted them I added a turn or two of masking tape to built up where needed but a simple over whip will be added for each sleeve to aid the bonding process .a little boring out on the one with the concave end to get a tight fit ,this was glued on and butted right up tight too the nose piece i'd made ,I held it tight in placed with a cable tie

there the concave end butted upto the rounded rear of the nose piece there was a slight overlap which i'd let the squeezed out clue cover ,when set a little sanding too shape/blend in .once the glue had started too set .The second & a cut down third one went on ,same procedure as the other one ,no boring needed with as its a tight fit over the base whipping ,and again held in position with a cable tie .popped the reel bands on double checking they was facing the right ways & that the crimped flared hooded one was bottom .last butt not least the one with the cap to complete the handle .

had too see how it looked with a reel in place

got carried away and put it together and got all touchy-feely

the handle turned out ok ,the hooded band only fits so far down thanks too a slight bulge near the butt cap

the foregrip not quite as bulged as i'd wanted in the end but ok enough that it requires a little force too go past and its not likely too be pushed that far or stored upside down ,so no problem

the taper at the front of the handles turned out just right & the butt caps button (new red one) got a green felt washer another little classic touch to fit in with the retro stryling

and my work here was done.

the top two sections are looking good

the tip end ,mid & bottom ends all rings on and blended in

just a little tidying up needed to the inters as some are faded ,I could re-whip them all but i'm too lazy so will just give them a make over with a black magic marker ...

I'm not 100% got away with it there are some inters too be done :Hide: , I've lightly marked off where they'll go four between butt ring and ferrule

And three between the hook keeper and lower foot of the but ring

I've left room near the handle for my new logo (a S in a D shaped shield ) transfer and the Name WiZversa .goin on the top side ,date and my name on the bottom .

On the last leg now just a few finishing touches and my surprise Christmas present will be done just in time .

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 pm

Nice work Steve! Handles are my bugbear but you've shown me the way forward :Hat:
Quot homines, tot sententiae. (And now we are 6!)

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 pm

handles can be done many ways individual corks & then machined ,built from the top down or bottom up ,modern cork sleeves do speed things up as they're all level can be trimmed ,its easy to build up a handle quickly ,ok trying to mimic some handle's designs a little tricky ,I could of done this one differently ,I could of made the bulges by putting two flared ends back to back (flare to flare with the rounded face sliced off, so they butt up flat together) or used a few rings for the bulged area and then sleeves for the main part ,its just a matter of expense as using two flared ends doubles their costs etc and theres wastage to think of where as single rings you don't waste much but its a longer process .swings and roundabouts. with my rod building I just make it up as I go along .... (sorry terrible joke)

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm dreamin of a.....Wizversa..
Just like the ones we used to know
He's done the high bells & whippin
And Steve's going fishin
His rods not cost a load of dough.... :whistle:

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”