Cork handle repair

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Duckett
Roach

Cork handle repair

Post by Duckett » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:28 pm

One of my favourite rods is an Allcocks Record Breaker that I was lucky enough to pick up a while ago. It was in very good condition aside from some holes in the cork handle around where both myself and the previous owner prefer our reel to be seated. So far I've left well alone as I've not attempted any rod repairs yet. However, last time I used her I noticed that one of the smaller holes had got a bit larger, so it's time to act I think. There are 8 holes I think with the largest being about 10mm long, 5mm wide at the widest point and 5mm deep.

Now being an N Gauge railway modeller (be gentle people, I rarely out myself in public on that one!) my first instinct is to use the waterproof PVA based wood glue and finely grated cork that I use to make textured surfaces. Blend together a lot of cork and not a lot of glue, apply with a small plastic glue spatula (the sort they use in Primary Schools with PVA) and finish with very fine sandpaper or 0000 grade wire wool (my preferred option a I find it easier to control the tiny amount of surfaces I need to work on with N Gauge scenery).

When I have seen what look like cork handles that have "in-fill", it seems to me like this is the method used. Given the huge amount of wisdom on these matters here, I thought I'd ask before wading in this weekend! Thanks :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Catfish.017
Rudd

Re: Cork handle repair

Post by Catfish.017 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:59 pm

I think on a repair the size you describe I would be using a solid piece of good grade cork cut a little larger all round, coated lightly with glue on the sides, a little heavier on the bottom where it will touch the cane. Compress the cork between finger and thumb and squeeze into place. Sand down when set.

Duckett
Roach

Post by Duckett » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Many thanks for that Catfish.017.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

JAA

Post by JAA » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:13 pm

I've done repairs with cascemite and cork dust and find that at least 5:1 by volume works well, you could increase that I suspect. For holes that are larger than filler, I've stuck in pieces of cork and then rubbed them down flush with fine glass paper and 'half a 30mm plastic pipe cut in half".

Finally for one really bad case, I cut away the entire section of handle, leaving clean edges on the 'good' cork and then cut a piece of cork shive in half length-ways and glued it into place in the gap, then rubbed down to level with the existing cork.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:05 pm

i'm with Catfish.017 anything over a couple mm and i'd plug the void with a transplanted piece of cork ,filler paste is ok in small gaps but too much in one area and it looks like a bold spot ,transplant just looks better when blended in.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Duckett
Roach

Post by Duckett » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Many thanks for the advice, it’s much appreciated.

Tengisgol
Tench

Post by Tengisgol » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 pm

I did a significant repair yo a handle on my Peerless which may help here:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25651&hilit=Peerless

I think there was a previous thread with more detail, I'll see if I can find it.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Tengisgol
Tench

Post by Tengisgol » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duckett
Roach

Post by Duckett » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:19 am

That's a lovely job you did, thanks for finding it for me Tenisgol. I don't need to go to those lengths this time but I've bookmarked it as it made me think that I might just be up to a job like that, something I'd have doubted this time yesterday!

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”