The perfect light float rod?

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Shropshire Lad
Silver Bream

Re: The perfect light float rod?

Post by Shropshire Lad » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:40 pm

The Aspinales Windale rod is my favourite, just feels right in the hand nicely balanced with a pin and not too tip heavy, or for a shorter rod the chapmans 500 for all the aforementioned qualities.

Crucian
Brown Trout

Post by Crucian » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Shropshire Lad wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:40 pm
The Aspinales Windale rod is my favourite, just feels right in the hand nicely balanced with a pin and not too tip heavy, or for a shorter rod the chapmans 500 for all the aforementioned qualities.
I would agree on the Windale and for a general purpose rod the 500 is hard to beat.

LuckyLuca
Sea Trout

Post by LuckyLuca » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Crucian wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 am
Some interesting choices...

The greenheart tipped rods are particularly interesting. Older salmon rods often go unsold and would be a source of good quality timber. I would think it possible to reduce the diameter and keep an accurate taper by planing it down in a steel planing form. I like the idea of matching rods to reels of around the same age. I suspect that a lot of so called greenheart tip joints could be made from lancewood and as the name implies, should be both light and strong A project I have in mind would have a wooden handle, sheet cork covered, whole cane butt and middle joints, with a nice fine greenheart top joint. watch this space...

I'm not surprised to see Aspindale's rods mentioned, as they certainly knew how to make superb light float rods. Perhaps hollow building is the way to go?
If you do go for greenheart/lancewood I have some spare rip sections which may help
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Crucian
Brown Trout

Post by Crucian » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Luckyluca, pm sent.

Paul D
Ferox

Post by Paul D » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:47 pm

I also have a small stock of greenheart tips, your more than welcome to them ( off cuts make great float stems) :Hat:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

Crucian
Brown Trout

Post by Crucian » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:54 pm

After careful deliberation and many changes, a decision was reached...

The new float rod would be 10' 6" long, two piece, to my own taper. Loosely based on Hardy's 'Roach perfection', but with a slightly faster taper and with a finer tip. Both joints hollow built for lightness. Handle to be 22" long with brass furniture in the 1930-40's style, with greenheart button. Whipping colour as yet undecided, but probably medium olive silk.

Having spent a bitterly cold weekend in the workshop while the snow fell, I have the butt joint built. Hollow building being new territory for me, I made haste slowly and carefully...or so I thought.
It wasn't until I was cleaning it down after gluing, and feeling rather pleased with the result, that I noticed I had one strip out of place...instead of alternating the strips to space the nodes, I now had the nodes in adjacent strips! plenty of bad language followed, believe me. All that work wasted...at this point, it was decided that a glass or two of wine might be a good idea.

After several glasses of wine, and with nothing to lose, I decided to test the butt joint to destruction by bending it far beyond what it would normally bend in use. It survived this abuse unscathed, in fact, I was amazed just how far it bent without breaking, and it was rotated between bends. At this point, I began to feel a bit better...but only a bit.

To quote Everett Garrison, the American rod maker, 'Nodes are god's gift to the rod maker'...He was right.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Annoying isn't it - I did it once with a tip section. As I was rolling the strips back together after applying glue I saw one had rotated, so I carefully turned it back around. Sadly the glue lubricated everything and I ended up shifting strips and messing up node spacing in the process. I was busy congratulating myself on turning the strip around in time before the glue began to turn, only to notice what had happened when I took the string off a few days later.

I did read an article where someone built a fly rod without staggering the nodes and it turned out there was no effect on strength - the visuals however are another matter.

How did your hollowing widget perform? I'll be hollow building my next project but using a low tech approach (as per normal for me!) with a jig and round file.

Cheers
Steve

Crucian
Brown Trout

Post by Crucian » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Shed_Monkey wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:15 pm
Annoying isn't it - I did it once with a tip section. As I was rolling the strips back together after applying glue I saw one had rotated, so I carefully turned it back around. Sadly the glue lubricated everything and I ended up shifting strips and messing up node spacing in the process. I was busy congratulating myself on turning the strip around in time before the glue began to turn, only to notice what had happened when I took the string off a few days later.

I did read an article where someone built a fly rod without staggering the nodes and it turned out there was no effect on strength - the visuals however are another matter.

How did your hollowing widget perform? I'll be hollow building my next project but using a low tech approach (as per normal for me!) with a jig and round file.

Cheers
Steve
It is annoying... but I was surprised that it feels so good, regardless of node spacing.

The hollowing 'Widget' works very well. If my eyes worked as well, I'd be pleased...

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Great progress Paul, I bet its brilliant :Hat:

BendSomeCane
Grayling

Post by BendSomeCane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:24 am

I have a clayton of boston , made with florida cane bottom , middle sections , its been refurbed its light straight beautiful to fish with.

Id happily get another

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”