The perfect light float rod?

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Crucian
Brown Trout

The perfect light float rod?

Post by Crucian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:32 am

Does such a rod exist?

I guess that each of us would come up with a different rod, a rod that is a personal favourite and that suits our varied styles of fishing...

For some years now I have given gentle thought to making a rod, which to me at least would be the perfect light float rod.

My favourite rod at the moment, would have to be an early green stained Allcocks 'Wallis Wizard' that I have mentioned in other posts. I am building a replica of this rod, having become concerned about damaging it.
Other rods I hold in high regard and use regularly, in no particular order;
Hardy 'Roach Perfection' Mk1, (finer tip than the Mk2)
Aspindales 'Aero 890',
Aspindales 'Windale',
Hardy 'FWK Wallis Allround',
Hardy 'Ideal Roach',
Early Allcocks 'Lucky Strike'.

Gentlemen, I look forward in anticipation to your thoughts on the perfect light float rod... :Hat:

Paul D
Ferox

Re: The perfect light float rod?

Post by Paul D » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:12 am

A good question and one I suspect will have many different answers, for really light float work I love my Viking but as with your wizard I'm almost frightened to use it due to its greenheart tip so rarely gets used.
I have just acquired a rather nice late model lucky strike, not used it yet but a preliminary waggle with various reels show promise.
I have had a waggle of (I think) Paul F's and MG's Harvey Talbot rods and they felt lovely.
My go to float rod is my modified super wizard, lengthened handle, extra ring on the tip, I can use it all day without fatigue but its probably a little stiff for really light float work. :Hat:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

Lea Dweller
Arctic Char

Post by Lea Dweller » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:35 am

I think that I have a rod that covers most float fishing situations, it is an E.Eggington and sons 10ft 6" two piece with a separate handle. It is a traditional Avon type action with it's original tip, but I obtained a second "Roach" tip section from Chapman's of Ware. With one of Wal's butt extensions it measures a fraction under 11ft and is very light with either top, I have yet to find a better all rounder!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Paul D
Ferox

Post by Paul D » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:48 am

Lea Dweller wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:35 am
I think that I have a rod that covers most float fishing situations, it is an E.Eggington and sons 10ft 6" two piece with a separate handle. It is a traditional Avon type action with it's original tip, but I obtained a second "Roach" tip section from Chapman's of Ware. With one of Wal's butt extensions it measures a fraction under 11ft and is very light with either top, I have yet to find a better all rounder!
That's reminded me Ted, I have a similar rod from Forshaws of Liverpool, its glass rather than cane and consequently very light, I'm not a massive fan of glass rods but the blank on this one is wonderful, its so thin its almost translucent but I've had it bent to the butt with a small barbel with no ill effects.
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:23 pm

It would be my modified Super Senior Wizocet with a longer handle for extra balance. It's 11' with a whole cane butt and built middle and tip sections, and is a dream to use avon style trotting rod.

I also have a 10' avon style rod called Chevin, by an unknown maker. The butt section is about 10mm whole cane and the other two sections are built. It's unbelievably light and one can trot all day with it for roach.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Lea Dweller
Arctic Char

Post by Lea Dweller » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Paul D wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:48 am
Lea Dweller wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:35 am
That's reminded me Ted, I have a similar rod from Forshaws of Liverpool, its glass rather than cane and consequently very light, I'm not a massive fan of glass rods but the blank on this one is wonderful, its so thin its almost translucent but I've had it bent to the butt with a small barbel with no ill effects.
I think that the glass blank that you like could be one from Marco, they produced some great rods. Davenport and Fordham also used some very light thin walled glass blanks, very under rated rods!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:08 pm

I like fishing light and for smaller species and I thought I had my longer light float rod sorted with my refurb of a two piece 11ft+ Spanish reed & cane rod .but the rod had other idea's and literally broke down and in the new year will now become a lightweight net handle !? ,I have a couple of options for shorter light float rods ,my multi tip 10ft rod and my old trent 10ft rod (that's getting a face lift soon) and my 8ft swingtip rod .I'll be seeing how my WizVersA 11ft comes out and weather its more a medium or light actioned rod ,but i'm also looking at making a twelve foot float rod for light trotting and tidler bashing .I'm thinking maybe a twelve foot wizard style rod to compliment the one i'm putting (well when I find a little time) finishing touches too or to continue my current theme of versa rods maybe a swimversa style rod might be in order or a 2+handle rod of 11ft+ rod .

whatever I end up with has too be light weight ,fairly stiff but still able too handle light hooklengths .. a light float rod is a very under estimated rod .but they're a wonderful thing too sit and idol away the day plucking out little beauty's from magical pools with.the rod needs too be just right ,right length ,right weight ,right action and most of all feel right.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Harry H
Arctic Char

Post by Harry H » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:47 pm

I have my 12ft Milwards Matchmaster for light float work which is a lovely rod to use, it also comes in 10ft 6" which I would have thought would be even better.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:21 pm

I've been hatching plans for a light float rod for small river work for a little while - 2 pieces plus detachable handle built on an alloy tube. Butt hollow built and tip part hollow built on a similar taper to a C500 (slight tweak to the tip) but reduced by about 10% and extended to give an overall length of 10'6".

This will hopefully be light in the hand while having a crisp and responsive through action - I've started the handle and hope to get that done over the festive holiday. Sadly the few remaining culms I have are somewhat unpredictable in terms of being on the spongy side so I won't be splitting any cane until I can source some reliable raw material.

Eddy Pools
Dace

Post by Eddy Pools » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:38 pm

My Milwards 10' 6" Floatcraft is my favourite light float rod which I use with a Floatcraft badged Rapidex - total enjoyment!

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”