The perfect light float rod?

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Reedling
Barbel

Re: The perfect light float rod?

Post by Reedling » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Light to medium float my Tom Watson 2 section Trent special. For medium to heavy My 3 section Edgar Sealey Supreme.

Harry
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Already got mine.... courtesy of Tengisgol and Wal... The "Wally Wizard"...Phil supplied the blank and Wal worked his magic.... it's so light if you don't put a reel on it it floats away :Cool:
Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:07 pm

My Aspindale Suredale is nice to float fish with, light well balanced and a crisp action. It has a fine tip but seems quite robust and will handle chub and tench.

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Hardy Allround No3 (whole cane, whole cane, split cane)
Or Allcocks Melody

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Eddy Pools wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:38 pm
My Milwards 10' 6" Floatcraft is my favourite light float rod which I use with a Floatcraft badged Rapidex - total enjoyment!
I agree! I've got one and it's a really nice light trotting rod. The Allcocks Isis is perhaps better suited to light lines with its lovely soft greenheart tip. One thing I've noticed about the Isis (I've got three!)is that there's a lot of variation in feel and finish. Later rods were obviously built dwn to a price but some of the earlier rods are beautifully balanced with a lovely blend between the greenheart and the whole cane.
Quot homines, tot sententiae. (And now we are 6!)

BendSomeCane
Grayling

Post by BendSomeCane » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:02 pm

My clayton of boston 3 piece 11ft is a real delight . Couple it with a scotton long trotter .. lovely
Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:58 pm

Here's my light rod for roach and grayling a Gemdale 10'6 it is a beautiful rod for this
purpose and couldn't wish for anything else. He's been in the man cave since summer
but as soon as the festive weather permits I'll couple him up with an Ambidex half
bale with which it balances very well.

Merry Christmas Everyone

:Hat:
niceroach

Crucian
Arctic Char

Post by Crucian » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 am

Some interesting choices...

The greenheart tipped rods are particularly interesting. Older salmon rods often go unsold and would be a source of good quality timber. I would think it possible to reduce the diameter and keep an accurate taper by planing it down in a steel planing form. I like the idea of matching rods to reels of around the same age. I suspect that a lot of so called greenheart tip joints could be made from lancewood and as the name implies, should be both light and strong A project I have in mind would have a wooden handle, sheet cork covered, whole cane butt and middle joints, with a nice fine greenheart top joint. watch this space...

I'm not surprised to see Aspindale's rods mentioned, as they certainly knew how to make superb light float rods. Perhaps hollow building is the way to go?

Ljm183
Tench

Post by Ljm183 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:07 am

Harry H wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:47 pm
I have my 12ft Milwards Matchmaster for light float work which is a lovely rod to use, it also comes in 10ft 6" which I would have thought would be even better.
The 10ft 6in Matchmaster is a fantastic light rod to use, I have a very good condition unrestored model.

:Hat:

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:40 pm

I only Own a few cane rods but , my favourite for light float fishing is my Marco Medway although i believe this is actually a ledger rod very light and super tip action ( although i am partial to marco rods )
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”