Octofloat Refurb Advice

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
JW1
Rudd

Octofloat Refurb Advice

Post by JW1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Some time ago I acquired a tired but sound Sealey Octofloat, it needs a few new rings and re-varnish plus the cork shoulder on the but was chipped away, something I would assume happens a lot during normal usage.
I have repaired the shoulder using an old proseco cork. Most of these corks are made from what looks like reconstituted cork but the bottom part which is in contact with the wine is good quality sheet. By drilling a hole down the end of the cork and then slicing it off in the lathe, a pretty good shoulder piece can be made. To fit it without removing the rest of the butt, I cut in in half with a razor blade and then fitted it into the gap where I had picked out the old peice. A little glue and a tight fit ensured that it was well secured, followed by a light sanding and it blended in well.
There is a slight knock in the middle ferule due to it being quite loose and in need of refitting. The thread appears to be green and red Jasper

could anyone confirm if this the original colour as to me it looks green but it might actually be gold.

Finally with the re-varnish could anyone advise me how to handle the transfers, they are mostly in good condition but I'm not sure if they would survive a sanding as the top part is a little flakey.

JW

Crucian
Arctic Char

Re: Octofloat Refurb Advice

Post by Crucian » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Nice rod JW, a good all round rod that is well worth restoring.

The replacement cork looks very good.
The rod you have is the 'De Luxe' version which whipped in green/red thread, the standard version was whipped in maroon/wine thread. The 'Jasper' thread can be a pain to both source and use. You might consider using maroon/wine instead, as this is readily available and easier to use, I guess it depends on how bothered or not you are about originality.
Regarding the loose ferrule, this should be easy enough to re glue, I use quick setting epoxy. This can easily be removed if the need should arise, a little heat will soften the epoxy and allow removal. The way I remove a ferrule is to heat the ferrule and grasp it in a gloved hand or a cloth and using a fairly close fitting dowel, gently drive the cane out of the ferrule. This works 9 times out of 10 and is very controllable. Should the job prove really stubborn, check very carefully for a fixing pin, these are sometimes hard to spot. Sometimes a little more heat it required, but carefully does it. It's worth cleaning the old glue residue from both the cane and ferrule before refitting.

The transfers are a delicate area but the flaking varnish can usually be improved by the use of fine steel wool before re varnishing. Should you lose any small pieces of the transfer, it's not too difficult to touch them in using a fine brush and Humbrol enamel or similar.

Good luck with the restoration and be sure to show us the results of your labours :Thumb:

Ljm183
Tench

Post by Ljm183 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Try the Gold and Black as used on the later Octofloat De-Luxe

I use this from a local sewing shop

https://www.sewingmachinesales.co.uk/se ... e-2224.htm

They also do other colours. Cheap at £2.30 for a 200m spool.

Wagtail
Brown Trout

Post by Wagtail » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Before working around transfers that look a bit flakey I always apply a coat of thinned yacht varnish which helps to 'glue' the transfer in place before cleaning around with fine wet and dry. Ladies emery boards (for filing nails) are quite useful too :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Penninelad
Crucian Carp

Post by Penninelad » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:03 am

That looks like a great source for Jasper thread.I think we have all had difficulty sourcing it.
Mark Davies

Ljm183
Tench

Post by Ljm183 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:58 am

Penninelad wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:03 am
That looks like a great source for Jasper thread.I think we have all had difficulty sourcing it.
I found it in a local sewing shop a couple of years ago. Bought one spool to try it out and it makes very good whipping thread,
It,s very fine size A thread, i dont think you can get any other size.

The only thing is there,s slightly more black in it than normal Jasper found on Vintage rod,s. OK if you're rewhipping a complete rod or you don't mind a slight difference.

CrayCane
Grayling

Post by CrayCane » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks for the link to the Jasper thread. That looks very useful.
Pete

JW1
Rudd

Post by JW1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks for help gentlemen, firstly the ferule sorted itself out, it came off in me hand as I was breaking the rod down (honest guv).
Thanks for confirming the thread colour I thought it might have been gold that had been discoloured by the varnish.
Thats a cracking site Lee, unfortunately they don't seem to have red/green. I have loads of the black/gold left over from the Tudor King project and I think it would probably look better but I would like to keep it as original as I can. I had the black/gold made up by a chap down in Cornwall so I will try him again to see if he can match this one.
Still a bit nervous about the labels but nothing ventured and all that.

JW

JW1
Rudd

Post by JW1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Just received a sample of the whipping thread, it turns out that it 3 stranded, 2 of green and 1 of red. I've done a trial whipping and it really looks good, can't wait to get started.

JW

Crucian
Arctic Char

Post by Crucian » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:19 pm

That thread does look good.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”