17 ft split cane salmon rod conversion.

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
John M
Bleak

17 ft split cane salmon rod conversion.

Post by John M » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:19 pm

gents I would like to put a question to the forum rod builders if I may, I have no experience of working on them and not much more actually using them.

I have seen a 17' salmon rod for sale made of split cane that looks very clean and straight, and If it wasn't for the handle I would not know it was a salmon rod. What I am wondering is what is stopping someone removing the handle for a traditional shaped cork handle and then swapping all the rings as well so that it became a 17' trotting rod? Would the action not be suitable to trotting? never fished for salmon so I don't know the differences in the performances of the rods.

many thanks.
As no man is born an artist,
so no man is born an angler.

Izaak Walton 1593-1683

Ljm183
Tench

Re: 17 ft split cane salmon rod conversion.

Post by Ljm183 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:36 pm

A 17ft all split cane rod will be very heavy and in my opinion not usable as a trotting rod. Unless of coarse you are a body builder and workout 10 hours a day.

Tengisgol
Tench

Post by Tengisgol » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:49 pm

I would tend to agree. Perhaps if it is four sections, you could abandon the butt and put a cork handle on the bottom of the third section. That would make it about thirteen feet by my reckoning but it still wouldn't make a great trotting rod due to its all through action.

Salmon rods tend to have a taper that make great rods for playing fish like barbel and chub but not fast on the strike. I have a Hardy rod that I converted, when I first started messing around with cane, and it is fantastic rod to take a fish on plus the original cane and craftsmanship is incredible. But it's a lot of work when you can purchase something made for the job and not too expensively.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:19 pm

17ft is a good length to play with ,put the but section too one side you won't be needing that ,the mid section and tip will give you a 11ft 3" blank to play with .now depending on the slimness of the tip section you have too decide weather too use the whole length or trim it down to stiffen the action a little .

same with the mid section you might need too trim it a bit

now the double handed salmon rods are more a through action ,spray rods a little stiffer .salmon rods can make a nice rod ,might not be the lightest or crispest rods (they make better barbel rods) but it does matter if its got steel centre or not (a lot have) as these add weight and should they have deteriated can rust and expand and blow the sections apart causing delamination .

the weight of the salmon rods mostly in the butt section ,but if your not using that then the other factor is ,as said steel centred sections will weigh more .but you can make a landing net handle out of the old but section .

I've done just this very thing

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19922

I was after a avon/quiver ledgering rod and as mine came with three tip sections this facilitated that .could I trot with it ,well yes ,maybe not all day.but yes but i'd trimmed it for ledgering with rather than trotting .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

John M
Bleak

Post by John M » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:57 pm

right thanks all for the info.
As no man is born an artist,
so no man is born an angler.

Izaak Walton 1593-1683

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”