A "bitsa" rod called "The Ranger"

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
BendSomeCane
Grayling

Re: A "bitsa" rod called "The Ranger"

Post by BendSomeCane » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Jeremy Croxall wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 am
BendSomeCane wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:51 pm
Very nice Jeremy, I see it will take a swingtip

What your thoughts on using it . ?

Bendsomecane
Sorry Andy, just re read your comments and I think you were asking about swing tipping specifically rather than the rod in general. I have never tried swing tipping but have a couple of rods with a threaded end ring and would like to give it a go, I'll need to get a swing tip, how does it affect casting I wonder?

A gently overhead cast with a fixed spool reel will suffice , I do it at Ravenfield without issues, its lovely to see it straightened out by a summer tench

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

OldAngler
Ruffe

Post by OldAngler » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Pleased I could help.

As to swing tips. I use them fairly frequently and as long as I am casting a decent weight, say half an ounce, then the ledger pulls out the line OK through the swing tip. However, with lighter weights, especially in windy conditions, the swing tip can occasionally whip back during the cast and wrap round the rod tip. Hope this helps.

Regards, Old Angler

Vole
Tench

Post by Vole » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:17 am

A fine looking rod!

A bit of drag on the line helps to keep a swing-tip behaving nicely during the cast, at least, it helps in the lower stage of the learning curve, which is as far as I ever got. A closed faced reel or a slightly under-filled open faced on should provide enough friction.
The cast should be a slow, lazy lob; through-action rods are good, because you just wind them up gently in the first stage of the cast, and they do the rest as they groan their way back to straight.

Many of the early swing-tip rods were built on fly-rod blanks, hence the preponderance of nine-and-a-half footers in the early literature. Everything may well have changed when the heavy swim-feeder became THE thing, but that happened a bit after my swing-tipping days.
Your rod looks well up to chucking a medium-sized feeder; I used a rather soft,old Mk IV Avon to lob the old Emstatt ( I think) "frame" feeders, which probably weigh about an ounce when loaded with groundbait, about thirty or forty yards.

A bit of extra feathering of the line as the rig drops towards the water also helps keep things under control. Good luck!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:10 pm

lovely rod that .I can think of a good Stillwater (old mill ponds) too take it too .although its been many years since I last went fishing there .theres a place called grange mill ,its out in the sticks a few miles between cromford and ashbourne way (a5012) ,used too be a dayticket water .nestled between quarry sites ,it actually a nice place scenically .in recent years I've only passed by on my way home from bakewell ,its a alternate route of mine to avoid summer traffic on the A6 ,the 5056 (taken from near hadden hall down to grange mill then a quick zig-zag at the junction puts me onto the back lane to wirkswirth and then onto belper and back road to Ilkeston.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Chavender wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:10 pm
lovely rod that .I can think of a good Stillwater (old mill ponds) too take it too .although its been many years since I last went fishing there .theres a place called grange mill ,its out in the sticks a few miles between cromford and ashbourne way (a5012) ,used too be a dayticket water .nestled between quarry sites ,it actually a nice place scenically .in recent years I've only passed by on my way home from bakewell ,its a alternate route of mine to avoid summer traffic on the A6 ,the 5056 (taken from near hadden hall down to grange mill then a quick zig-zag at the junction puts me onto the back lane to wirkswirth and then onto belper and back road to Ilkeston.
Sounds like the beginnings of a plan Steve, I wonder if it still exists as a day ticket water? Maybe we could have a bit of a social if any one else locally would like to get together? Perhaps when the weather warms up a bit!!

Mick
Grayling

Post by Mick » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:19 pm

That's a lovely looking rod Jeremy. I reckon Jack will still be using it when he's your age! Well done Matey!!!!

Galician
Minnow

Post by Galician » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:43 pm

What a wonderful project and result, you are to be congratulated. This means a number of Rods have been saved, if only in part, continuing to give pleasure to those who love cane.
Galician

Harry H
Arctic Char

Post by Harry H » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Nicely done :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Stathamender
Arctic Char

Post by Stathamender » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:41 pm

BendSomeCane wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:04 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote:
BendSomeCane wrote:

Bendsomecane
Sorry Andy, just re read your comments and I think you were asking about swing tipping specifically rather than the rod in general. I have never tried swing tipping but have a couple of rods with a threaded end ring and would like to give it a go, I'll need to get a swing tip, how does it affect casting I wonder?
A gently overhead cast with a fixed spool reel will suffice , I do it at Ravenfield without issues, its lovely to see it straightened out by a summer tench

Bendsomecane
Avoid most of the commercially produced swingtips and get some from Metal Mickey's shop on Ebay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Swing-Tip-Fish ... /752832652, produced to the proper Fred Foster spec, the extra stiffness given by using a solid nylon link, rather than rubber tubing, just about eliminates wraparound problems.

If you lent the rod to someone would it then become the Loan Ranger?
Iain

'You may say I'm a dreamer but I am not the only one.......'

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Stathamender wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:41 pm
BendSomeCane wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:04 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote:
BendSomeCane wrote:

Bendsomecane

Bendsomecane
Avoid most of the commercially produced swingtips and get some from Metal Mickey's shop on Ebay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Swing-Tip-Fish ... /752832652, produced to the proper Fred Foster spec, the extra stiffness given by using a solid nylon link, rather than rubber tubing, just about eliminates wraparound problems.

If you lent the rod to someone would it then become the Loan Ranger?
Thanks for that. The name "Ranger" uses letters borrowed from "Old Angler" (Rod) who donated the cane for the butt section and offered a lot of advice and suggestions as to how to bring the thing together!

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”